Aquarium shelf bowing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katweet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm completely new to forums, but I needed some advice from people who knew what they were doing.

I set up a 10g today, on a stud-mounted wall shelf rated at 100lbs. I'm estimating the tank weighs between 80 and 90lbs. The brackets are holding fine but the shelf itself is bowing very slightly in the middle. Using a level, the bubble is always 'between the lines,' but slightly askew depending on where it's reading.

I really, REALLY don't want to have to disassemble the tank and shelf. Is this cause for worry? Would installing another bracket in the drywall between the existing brackets help? The shelf is a few inches wider and longer than the tank and the tank's edges sit almost on top of the brackets themselves.

I'd make sure your braces are screwed to wall studs and add an extra support in the middle.

Caleb

Add another bracket mounted to a stud and a piece of 3/4" plywood under the tank itself.. this is a less than ideal.tanknstand and I'd personally not use it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A 10 gallon tank is approximately 100 pounds. so you are pushing the limits of your bracket/shelf setup.

There isn't a stud in between. The brackets are mounted on the two closest studs. I'll try the wood though.

The tank isn't full. If a gallon of water is 8.34lbs and the tank is only 9-9.5 gallons, it weighs between 75 and 80lbs. The 80-90 estimate was generous.

If you get a 5 gallon bucket and drain half of the water, you should be able to pick up the tank and add a stronger piece of wood underneath. I would cut a 2X12 section for the shelf, but i'm an overachiever.

EDIT: brace between the brackets also to prevent swaying.

If you want to do it right?? Take the whole thing down, brackets and all. Mount a 2x12" spanning the 2 studs with predrilled 3.5" lag bolts, mount 3 brackets to that ledger board and replace whatever mdf or particle board shelf top provided with another 2x12"..

If you want to do it right?? Take the whole thing down, brackets and all. Mount a 2x12" spanning the 2 studs with predrilled 3.5" lag bolts, mount 3 brackets to that ledger board and replace whatever mdf or particle board shelf top provided with another 2x12"..

Advice from a carpenter that builds things all the time ^^^

Caleb

Yeah, I can't compete with that. But, I could mount a piece of HY100 to the wall with lag bolts, weld a shelf of HY100 with 3 angle iron brackets...but yeah, Brooks has the best idea for a house. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I can't compete with that. But, I could mount a piece of HY100 to the wall with lag bolts, weld a shelf of HY100 with 3 angle iron brackets...but yeah, Brooks has the best idea for a house. :)

You want a nice cut of steak? You could always stick your head up.the bulls..... I'd rather take the butchers word for it;) one day...i weld stuff to things and put fish water on it!!

All kidding aside, I did make an all metal stand for my brother who is still using the stand that I made for him.

As for the OP, yeah you need to do something soon or you will be swimming with the feesh.

Back
Top Bottom