Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Aquarium stability on carpet

Hi, all! My name is Sara and I'm new to this forum. I was hoping I could get some advice and such.

I have a 60 gallon aquarium and stand; I've just moved from a place with tile to a place with carpet and the tank seems to be wobbling from front to back. I haven't filled it yet, because I'm not sure how stable it is. When I have the tank shoved closer to the wall vs. out from the wall, there is about a 3/4" difference from the top of the tank to the bottom of the stand and about a 1/2" change in water level. I have the tank shoved back on the stand, with about a 1/4" left in back and 1 1/4" in the front. Does all (or any) of that make sense?

Down to it: Will my tank be more likely to topple forward once I fill it or is it not enough of a tilt to cause any problem? Is there any other factor I may have missed? Am I safe or just being paranoid, or other? I'll have fish in there that have been with me for almost 6 years; I don't want to lose them.

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well unless your stand is really off balance I think you will be fine. A 60 gallon tank filled is going to weight around 600 lbs... the carpet shouldn't be able to sway it once it is filled... my 2 cents

Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

The difference when the back is closer to the wall is the tack strip that holds the carpet. you will want to stay off of it or your tank will lean to the front. after you get the weight of the water in the tank, it will flatten the carpet and pad under it and be more stable.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So it'll be ok if I have the tank stand about 4" from the wall? I'll pull it out more if I have to, but I have kittens and I don't want them to get behind the tank and unplug things.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftsarn View Post
So it'll be ok if I have the tank stand about 4" from the wall? I'll pull it out more if I have to, but I have kittens and I don't want them to get behind the tank and unplug things.

a couple of inches should get you far enough away from the tack strip, it is only an inch wide and usually 1/2' away from the wall
Old 11-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok, well the filter sticks out a little further than that, so that'll be super. I moved these fish from Kentucky to Florida and back again, but I've never seemed to have this problem! Thank you!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 55g tank on carpet in my bedroom and I don't have any problems out of it. How well built is the stand?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well, I got it at Petsmart. It seems to be...satisfactory. It's not junk, but it's not a brick house.

I'm also wondering if having the tank pushed that far back on the stand is a good idea or a bad one.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You`ll be OK on carpet. Mine has been there for twelve yrs now. The tank and stand will be so heavy it will be nice and firm on carpet. BTW welcome to AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would make sure the tank is centered properly on the stand and just move the whole thing out from the wall. My HOB filters got in the way too and I just move the stand and tank a little further from the wall. It won't make much of a difference doing that. You'll be okay.

Tags
carpet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com