Aquarium stand not flat need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Watsonja4

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just picked my aqueon 45g up today and started setting everything up. I put my stand in place first and shimmed it level, it's on concrete slab. Well my my problem started when I decided to throw the square on the top frame to check for high spots. I found that the stand dips down in the middle on the long span, it's not much probably less than a 1/16", a quarter would not fit between the square and stand. So should I be worried about this or not? I was thinking about putting some 1/4" cork board between the tank and stand if it will help or is this a bad idea? Any help is appreciated as I'm ready to get this thing up and going.

IMO that's not much of a dip considering the length of the run. The cork board should help. In this case I'm wondering if plywood would be more appropriate or if even necessary.
Wish I could be more helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would go with a 1/2 piece of plywood , I don't think the cork would give enough support ,
I split a tank because of a gap like that , I thought nothing of it till I cracked the bottom
and I was no happy camper

Last edited:
If it's a standard rimmed tank than it doesn't matter as only the perimeter contacts the stand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well that's where the dip is on the stand, it's where the rim would sit on it. I know the bottom glass needs no support since aqueon tanks have a floating bottom. Could I use composite shims to fill the gap or bad idea?

You can shim it for sure.

So just to double check I can put shims between the stand top and bottom rim. If yes I will head to lowes first thing tomorrow and buy some composite snap shims. Lol I'm so ready to get started on the fish-less cycle.:dance:

Absolutely, just take care to not over/under shim.

Back
Top Bottom