Aquarium Supply Advice Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishandPotterFreak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tank, hoping to become a FOWLR tank in a few months.
I'm planning on having 10 pounds of live rock, and 20 pounds dry. Will the live rock make the dry rock live? How long? And do I have to wait for all of it to beome live before I add fish?
And I need 30 pounds of sand, right?
Here's my stocking list that I plan on:
2 firefish
1 clownfish
1 watchman goby and pistol shrimp (hopefully my LFS has a pair!)
1 orange stripe prawn goby OR 1 clown goby (not sure which yet)
Anyways, what powerheads do you recommend? My LFS doesn't sell powerheads, so I have to order online. Here is what powerheads I was thinking but I don't know what one I should choose:
Wave Maker Powerhead Aquarium Pump Reef 800 GPH 3000L/H Circulation Marine Tank | eBay

Oceanic Biocube Nano Circulation Aquarium Pump 250 GPH Powerhead - Bio Cube | eBay
I know this one^ is for a Biocube but will it still work?

Now for protein skimmers, what do you think would work?
Do I need a RO/DI unit? Could I use tap water then condition it?
Sorry for all the questions! Thank you so much!:)

Live rock is called live because of the bacteria living in it. This bacteria is what you are making sure your tank has when you cycle your tank and check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. The amount of time this takes can vary, depending on amount of live rock and sand already present. More LR, less time to cycle as the bacteria is already there. As a rough estimate, a cycle takes ~a month. Sometimes less, sometimes more. And yes, you need to wait for the cycle to be finished before you add anything to your tank. Levels of ammonia and nitrites are deadly.

The 30 doesn't need a skimmer and no to tap water.. the fire fish need to be a mated pair or else you will begin to have aggression issues..the prawn goby requires cold water which your other fish don't and the sand and dry rock will become live over a couple weeks with BB

Beneficial bacteria, the stuff that makes the nitrogen cycle happen

Back
Top Bottom