Aquarium Trim????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klayton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be building a stand and canopy for my aquarium this weekend and had a question? The tank hase a cheap wood grain covered plastic trim around the bottom and top. I was wondering if I could remove it? The cornors have already seperated and it just looks tacky. I dont believe it would effect the strength of the tank due to the fact that it has been full of water for three weeks in my carport and has not leaked a drop. I would just rather be safe than sorry. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

I cant see why it would effect your tank that much? Some tanks have that plastic on the bottom some don't so i cant see it being that structural. If your worried remove the plastic and make a new trim with some wood or plastic trim from DIY store.

Firstly what size tank is it?????
On a large tank say 450 litres where the water weighs 450 kg do you really think plastic trim will stop bowing of the glass. Lmao
That's why large tanks have glass braces

On smaller tanks the weight is less of an issue hence you can buy tanks that are just simple tanks with no trim and no braces .

Most tanks have the plastic trim just to look nice.
Like I said earlier you can replace it with new trim siliconed round the bottom. The new hood will help with the top if that is an issue also but I assume if the tank is big it will be braced top and bottom Roth glass .

Any pics available?

You can buy new trim online. I'm not where I can give you the link, but would be happy to when I'm back to my computer at home. It's not very expensive either. I think it was around $10-$12 per piece. You could even change to black.
Don't quote me in that price. I'll try to post where I found it when I get a chance.

Firstly what size tank is it?????
On a large tank say 450 litres where the water weighs 450 kg do you really think plastic trim will stop bowing of the glass. Lmao
That's why large tanks have glass braces

On smaller tanks the weight is less of an issue hence you can buy tanks that are just simple tanks with no trim and no braces .

Most tanks have the plastic trim just to look nice.
Like I said earlier you can replace it with new trim siliconed round the bottom. The new hood will help with the top if that is an issue also but I assume if the tank is big it will be braced top and bottom Roth glass .

Any pics available?
Obviously, you have no idea what you are taking about.
There are many people on here with tanks that are 125 GALLONS (473 liters) or larger, including myself, and they all have plastic trim. Do some research before spouting out bogus information.

Thanks all, it's 90 gallons. I plan to have my stand wrap around the tank, that's another reason why I want to remove the trim, it pushes the wood to far out from the glass. If I'm gonna build a stand I want to do it right

Back
Top Bottom