Aquarium water shakes when people walk by

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I live on the third story of my apartment building, and we have wood floors. Whenever we walk by my tank, the water (55g tank) visibly shakes. My brother is a very heavy walker, so any time he walks by it, I cringe. I try not to walk by it at all and take the long way to the couch. Anyway, I am starting to get pretty worried about this. It's been happening since June when the tank was originally set up. How bad is this for my tank? Also, I don't want this tank busting through the floor, killing the people below me, and me getting arrested and charged over a million dollars in law suits. What should I do?

I don't think it's bad for the tank, it might just scare the fish. The only problem (that I can see) is water sloshing over on the floor. Do your fish show signs of stress?

I disagree.. Shouldn't be sloshing that's a bad sign. Tbh 55g on third floor is A bad idea that's hundreds of pounds you don't know the stability of the place you live in. If I were you I'd drain as much as you can, sell it, and cut your losses. Or move to different place on the ground level. Or ask your landlord what he thinks and how safe the structure is but there's no way your water should be sloshing when someone walks by that means the stability of your floor is not distributed. That's just IMO hopefully someone else chimes in.

One option you could try would be to get a large piece of flat board that would go under your tank and stand around all edges. To add stability to the unit. It will distrubute the weight more evenly over the floorboards which could be moving due to excess weight you have added. Make sure the board is nice and think and make it as big as you can... They arent expensive from hardware stores and if you don't want it to be an eyesore just put a rug over it. Be careful if the water is sloshing around a lot also as it could run down the tank unnoticed and slowly in time dampen the floor which would cause a huge problem! I'd reduce the water level straight away to take away some weight until you have sorted the problem.

corinne118s said:
I disagree.. Shouldn't be sloshing that's a bad sign. Tbh 55g on third floor is A bad idea that's hundreds of pounds you don't know the stability of the place you live in. If I were you I'd drain as much as you can, sell it, and cut your losses. Or move to different place on the ground level. Or ask your landlord what he thinks and how safe the structure is but there's no way your water should be sloshing when someone walks by that means the stability of your floor is not distributed. That's just IMO hopefully someone else chimes in.

Yeah I agree, if it is sloshing I would definitely cut my losses and get rid of the tank especially if it is on the third floor. Sorry:(

I live on the third story of my apartment building, and we have wood floors. Whenever we walk by my tank, the water (55g tank) visibly shakes. My brother is a very heavy walker, so any time he walks by it, I cringe. I try not to walk by it at all and take the long way to the couch. Anyway, I am starting to get pretty worried about this. It's been happening since June when the tank was originally set up. How bad is this for my tank? Also, I don't want this tank busting through the floor, killing the people below me, and me getting arrested and charged over a million dollars in law suits. What should I do?

Since your in Queens I'm guessing it's an older building that has wood beams for floors. Are the corners of your stand laying on the beams? If not that could be your problem. Try moving it ... if possible ... preferably to a corner where it can rest on the beams .

Getting rid of your tank should be your last resort ... I remember your first threads when you move there ... but I do agree and keep that as your last option.

I think I may be the first person to have a tank on anything but the first floor...Your answer is a tad extreme.
I don't know which direction the beams are running, I'll have to ask. The water doesn't slosh that badly.

I think I may be the first person to have a tank on anything but the first floor...Your answer is a tad extreme.
I don't know which direction the beams are running, I'll have to ask. The water doesn't slosh that badly.

Also, make sure the tank is set up along a load bearing wall. That will be the strongest part of your flooring system.

Assuming it is a glass aquarium, that 55g will weigh over 650lbs.

Marconis said:

It's definitely worst case but the risks are pretty bad. I'm not saying it's going to explode through the floor but it definitey is going to weaken the floor and his apartment migh find him liable for it. I live on the third floor of an older apartment building. I weigh 125lbs and the floor still creaks in some places. Now imaging 4-5 of my in 2sq feet of space over time. Wouldn't do it imo

corinne118s said:
It's definitely worst case but the risks are pretty bad. I'm not saying it's going to explode through the floor but it definitey is going to weaken the floor and his apartment migh find him liable for it. I live on the third floor of an older apartment building. I weigh 125lbs and the floor still creaks in some places. Now imaging 4-5 of my in 2sq feet of space over time. Wouldn't do it imo

Renters insurance might be a good investment. I'm just sayin!

Dont know if this has been said yet, but an outside wall would be best, may stop or at least minimize the water shaking

Read this article: http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

I had the same concerns and this was very helpful. In summary: the water shaking in your aquarium is not a good sign. I recommend draining it and finding a better location based on the article. But as miran said, the outside wall or any load bearwall in the corner would be best.

If you can find a better spot I think you will be fine, you'd probably be fine either way, but better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom