Aquarium water shakes when walk by?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just set up my 20g long on carpet. The tank is set up close to a wall and close to my door on the first floor. This is pretty much the only spot I can have it since my 55 is going to the right of it and I cant tear this down again. It doesnt violently shake or anything but it does make some tiny waves. It is probably due to the height of the stand, which is level. What can I do?

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

The only thing I can think is to beef up the stand a bit, with either gussets on the tops of the legs ( back ones anyhow ) or close the back and maybe the sides in to stiffen it up.
You will never stop it. Completely as long as the floor moves.

The only thing I can think is to beef up the stand a bit, with either gussets on the tops of the legs ( back ones anyhow ) or close the back and maybe the sides in to stiffen it up.
You will never stop it. Completely as long as the floor moves.

The stand is all 2x4 and could easily hold 3x the weight of the 20g. I dont see how it could flex? It follows the same common diy stand plans

At the joints. They always move a little no matter how tight the bolts are.
The big problem is the floor.
If the back of the stand is against the wall and not moving but the front moves with the floor and the stand is say 12 inches don't to back and for the sake of argument we will say 30 inches tall, ( now this is an egsaturation ) the front drops 1/16 of an inch the tank is no longer level. The 30 inches of hight will multiply the forward movement of going off level and then back to level thus waves.
The only way to stop it is to stop the floor from moving.

At the joints. They always move a little no matter how tight the bolts are.
The big problem is the floor.
If the back of the stand is against the wall and not moving but the front moves with the floor and the stand is say 12 inches don't to back and for the sake of argument we will say 30 inches tall, ( now this is an egsaturation ) the front drops 1/16 of an inch the tank is no longer level. The 30 inches of hight will multiply the forward movement of going off level and then back to level thus waves.
The only way to stop it is to stop the floor from moving.

Oh I see now, so really the only way to 100% stop it is to put it on concrete... the water movement cant damage the tank can it?

Not if it's just a little bit, and the surface it's sitting on is solid. You can put a foam pad of some sort under the tank if you want. That would cushion any vibration I use 2 layers of the under lay for laminate flooring then just trim the excess after the tank is on it. You don't even see it after, it also bridges any flaws in the surface the tank is sitting on.
I think you will be ok though judging from the photo.

Not if it's just a little bit, and the surface it's sitting on is solid. You can put a foam pad of some sort under the tank if you want. That would cushion any vibration I use 2 layers of the under lay for laminate flooring then just trim the excess after the tank is on it. You don't even see it after, it also bridges any flaws in the surface the tank is sitting on.
I think you will be ok though judging from the photo.

I have found a fix! A 2x4 was the perfect width between the stand and the wall...jammed an extra one between the two and now I can jump up and down with very little movement at all. Ill cut a smaller piece that looks less ghetto but for now this works

Attachments

• 1396458993699.jpg
    1396458993699.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 150
Shaking can be scary- I've got a 120g that wiggles when people walk by. I hold my breath. Glad you found a solution though!

Now just pain it black and no one will even question it.
Or better still cut one for each side and it will look like part of the design

Ya a 120 would be a bit scarier.
The same type of fix may work on that too.
Just be sure that any pressure points Arab at the ends where it's more solid.

Back
Top Bottom