Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquariums on ebay

I know it's going to be hard to quantify since most of you are in the USA. But I'm planning to sell my 64 litre tank, which is 11 months old and I'm wondering how much I should put it on sale for.

It's this one here
Fish Box 60cm Tank by Interpet (Available In Store Only) | Pets at Home

Interpet Fish Box 60. Comes with a 150W heater, Interpet PF2 filter and over tank lighting.

It currently retails for £99 (about $160US). I was thinking of putting it up for sale at around half that, but I don't really know what the going rate is for such things!

PS. I'm not posting this to try to sell it! It's not even properly cleaned out at the moment!

Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think your biggest concern should be over shipping and insurance for shipping if it breaks. It can be expensive to ship an aquarium and I don't know many that would want to pay 80 for a tank and then 80 for shipping if they can buy new for 160.

Not saying don't do it, just wanted to bring up that point. I honestly have no idea how to ship a big rectangular cube of glass without it breaking.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

First, I would only offer local pickup.
Second, used equipment seems to not even hold half value. I picked up a 150gallon complete setup for $300.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquariums are a tough sell on eBay. I think you be better off posting in your local classifieds like Craigslist or whatever you have across the pond.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I agree with Jim. I've never sold on Ebay, but dont they charge commission or something of that nature? Craigslist is free, and I'd say more people look for things like that since its more of a local thing anyways. I've always had great luck on craigslist

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

eBay does charge fees, but they're not ridiculous. Aquariums are hard to sell on eBay because of shipping.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did forget to mention that I was going to offer local pickup only! tbh I'm not too bothered about what I get for it as long as I get *something*. If it's less than half the price new, then that's fine, I'd just like a good idea of what to pitch it at.

No Craigslist here, or anything like it that I know of. Apart from the old putting in the newspaper classified ads.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com