Aquatic Life T-5 HO Dual Lamp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few more questions:
1. Is co2/glut necessary in medium light?
2. Are liquid ferts acceptable in medium light?
3. How often are ferts to be dosed? How much?
4. How often should the light be left on?
Sorry about all these questions :oops:

1. Very likely.
2. Yes, but they can get expensive.
3. That depends completely on what you are dosing.
4. 6-8 hours daily.

Honestly, with the amount of light that you are putting over your tank the liquid ferts are going to burn a hole in your pocket. They are great for low light tanks but they just aren't concentrated enough for higher light imho. If you were still dead set on liquid ferts I would probably go with the comprehensive seachem flourish and supplement that with the seachem potassium.

There is a fairly even division between people that use both EI and PPS Pro on this forum and both are very good systems. You just need to figure out how much to mix in the bottles and dose accordingly.

In EI you rotate between dosing micros and macros every day while in PPS Pro you dose both daily. EI uses up quite a bit more fertilizer than PPS Pro does but there is less fine tuning involved. PPS Pro is more of a way of finessing your fertilizers and uses quite a bit less because of it.

So what would I do as far as co2? Is it absolutely necessary? Also, what are good fertilizers?

Fertilizers answered earlier in the thread ^

for carbon I used to use excel and just avoided buying plants that will melt with it.

So do I just not dose co2 because I want vallisneria and crypt?

Crypts are fine with excel. You are going to have to play it by ear with the vals. You could try a low dose and slowly increase it over time to acclimate them. Some val species do just fine with excel while others melt quite rapidly.

I use ei and am just now switching to pps pro. You can find it at green leaf aquariums.

How long does it last? And if you don't mind, could you explain to me the concept of how to dose pps pro? Thank you!

I bought my EI package in early august and its just now running out for fertilizing a 55g and 10g.

for pps pro:
In 1 liter bottle:
59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)
41 grams MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulfate)
Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Micro Solution

In 1 liter bottle:
80 grams of CSM+B or equivalent trace element mix
Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Dose 1ml of each daily per 10g of tank volume.

In either dosing regimen I would mix the nitrate separately.

Back
Top Bottom