Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquatic Life T-5 HO Dual Lamp

Hello! I'm thinking about getting this fixture: Aquatic Life 36" T-5 HO Dual Lamp Fixture Freshwater I believe it is 78 watts. I was wondering what light level it would give me in a 50 gallon tank (36" x 18" x 18-19") as I would like to know what live plants I can have. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe I should have posted this in the planted tank section

Old 01-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you know of any other good fixtures, please tell me!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone? Please?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

HI Platies,
The Aquaticlife you're posting about is a really good quality fixture. It has excellent reflectors which is very important. It's part of what you're paying for on an Aquaticlife. I have the same fixture in the quad bulb and I love it. It's better than any of the other fixtures I've had. On your depth of tanks that should put you in solid medium to med/high light. It would be a good choice. OS.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scales View Post
HI Platies,
The Aquaticlife you're posting about is a really good quality fixture. It has excellent reflectors which is very important. It's part of what you're paying for on an Aquaticlife. I have the same fixture in the quad bulb and I love it. It's better than any of the other fixtures I've had. On your depth of tanks that should put you in solid medium to med/high light. It would be a good choice. OS.
How often would I have to replace the bulbs? Are there any other good fixtures you know of?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

I replace my bulbs just about exactly once a year. Some say they'll last up to 18 months but I'm just being safe. I do notice a slight improvement when I replace them. The only other high end fluorescent I've dealt with is Corallife. A medium quality fixture that is a much cheaper T5HO fixture is Zoo-Med. They're OK but don't have near as good of reflectors as the high end however, and one would put you in a lower end of medium light.
Nowadays, with the advances in LED's you could get a Build My Led fixture for around the same price as a high end fluorescent. Hope this helps. OS.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you for your help! What types of ferts would I have to dose with the Aquatic Life fixture? I would have jungle val, crypt parva, and amazon swords. I read that you have to dose more fertilizer in higher lighting? Is this true?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

Yes with higher light the plants are more "active" thus needing more carbon(Glut or CO2) and nutrients. Api CO2 Booster, Seachem's Excel, or Metricide14 ordered from Amazon are liquid carbon that can be used on your set up. You really wouldn't have to have pressurized CO2. Then you need to dose Macro and Micro fertilizers of your choice. The liquid carbons also help fight algae that becomes more of an issue with higher light. You test for nitrates and phosphates regularly to know how much fert to dose. A good generic target is 10-20ppm NO2 and 1-3ppm PO4. Also with higher light you don't need to have the lights on as long.(Algae) 6 to 8 hrs is usually enough. Here, a timer on your lights is invaluable. Good luck and welcome to the dark side of the force. OS.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, how long do LED fixtures last? I checked out the Build My Led fixture website, and they were kinda pricey. Do you know if the Finnex Fugeray Planted Fixture or the Ray 2 would be good? What lighting would each give me?

Tags
t-5

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com