Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquaticlife led .5 watt freshwater

Just bought this light for my 20 gallon tall and I'm a bit disappointed I expected it to be much brighter for the price and with what experience I have with led lights I figured 9 watts would give me more bang for my buck. Does anyone else have any experience with led aquarium lights that could add there input please?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1498353348.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	166084

Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got a truelumen pro for my 90 gallon and when I lit it up over my 20 gallon just to see if it works I was so impressed I got a 24" one for the 20. Soooo much brighter then the t8 it came with. The reason it looks dim is because you have a tall tank so the PARs on the bottom are very low. You can add another strip or sub with a ho t5. Or return it and get the truelumen pro strip, its 16 watts with ho drivers.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravereaper0 View Post
I got a truelumen pro for my 90 gallon and when I lit it up over my 20 gallon just to see if it works I was so impressed I got a 24" one for the 20. Soooo much brighter then the t8 it came with. The reason it looks dim is because you have a tall tank so the PARs on the bottom are very low. You can add another strip or sub with a ho t5. Or return it and get the truelumen pro strip, its 16 watts with ho drivers.
I have some led lights that came with the tank when I use them with the aquaticlife led I lose the shimmer effect. I can't win lol
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobykourtney View Post

I have some led lights that came with the tank when I use them with the aquaticlife led I lose the shimmer effect. I can't win lol
That sucks. I don't use the hood of mine after I got the strip. The evaporation is a bit higher but its no big deal. And when the water temp goes up I just turn on the ceiling fan and it helps a lot. The shimmering with my strip is beautiful, next time I'm home I can make a short YouTube video.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The light was for my ebjd with the old light I couldn't even see the little guy so I guess it's not that big of a deal. I just need to find a way to make the tank brighter without losing that shimmer besides dropping another 80 bucks on another light :-(
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

That sucks. I don't use the hood of mine after I got the strip. The evaporation is a bit higher but its no big deal. And when the water temp goes up I just turn on the ceiling fan and it helps a lot. The shimmering with my strip is beautiful, next time I'm home I can make a short YouTube video.
I don't use a hood on my 75 but I have to on the 20 or the trapdoor snails will escape
Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobykourtney View Post
The light was for my ebjd with the old light I couldn't even see the little guy so I guess it's not that big of a deal. I just need to find a way to make the tank brighter without losing that shimmer besides dropping another 80 bucks on another light :-(
But why spend $ on something you're not pleased with. I'd return it and get the right one.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

But why spend $ on something you're not pleased with. I'd return it and get the right one.
Guess so but it's the only led they sell I might just supplement it with a high output light and turn it into a planted tank. I tend to so that a lot lol
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

You don't buy online?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You don't buy online?
Usually but the light I bought would have been more expensive to buy online so I decided to go for it. I think the reason it seems dim is because the tank next to it has 2 dual t5ho fixtures lol.

Tags
freshwater, led, watt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com