Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
come get me tang police!

The aquatop is just a rebranded chinese knockoff. Ebay is loaded with them, do a search for canister filters and see. Sunsun, perfect, jebao are other knockoff names. What people have been doing is buying these cheap filters and then rebranding them with their own logo and marking them up.

That said, they have gotten some pretty decent reviews, google sunsun or perfect canister filter reviews

Old 06-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

When you say you want to upgrade, is your HOB inadequate? If it is keeping the ammonia and nitrite at zero, you won't really be upgrading, just spending more money.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
My apologies . SHE is on a tight budget .
Hey Mr. Limpet don't feel too bad ... I did the same thing a few nights ago Can't often tell the gender from the profile name
Old 06-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem guys! And no my HOB is nit doing a good job.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
I assume you checked online. There can be a big difference in price for the Fluvals betweens shops and online.
I 100% agree. the fluval 405 is roughly $219 at petsmart here..online its anywhere from 119-140 new.. and although an aquatop would more than likely get the job done, a fluval would make life soo much easier in terms of tank maintenance..just trying to give ya some options
Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I bought it, I've had it about a week. I've installed it on a saltwater 40G. I'm not an expert or anything. But, I wouldn't put it on a bigger aquarium because I was a little disappointed by the flow. As for the UV, water is spiraled around the UV light which appears to give it more exposure than I thought it would. I'm happy with the product, I only anticipated more power. I will post more if I have any issues.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #17

A spiral or stepped UV just means the path is longer, 100gph is still 100gph (for example). Exposure is a direct result of flow rate, that is it.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

hi Fellas
I'm new to this forum but I've been in the aquarium hobby for about 30 years
Ive had saltwater tanks with live coral all the way to huge freshwater planted aquariums

anyway, my honey came home last week with... turtles! they only cost 6$ each, but we all know that truth /o\
turtles are ridiculously messy... they literally tear food apart with their claws like in a horror movie. So I am looking for a powerful filter even though the tank is only filled less than half with water.

funny thing is, I tore down all my setups a few years ago as I move alot and gave away the last of my tanks just a few months ago... I was not expecting to buy a new tank and filter this soon -

so I came across this brand aquatop on amazon and that led me here and i was looking for some reviews. I went ahead and ordered one since the value seemed ridiculous, but I ordered from this guy because he also had for sale a ball valve that adjusts the flow and matches the stock piping. I also ordered an extra o_ring, because well i dont want to have to source the part when I actually need it. I see alot of you recommend fluval filters. I actual have owned the large ones in the past for my salt water setup. I did like the filter but I had a lot of problems with it. the most severe one is that fluvals ALWAYS get air in them. very annoying, perhaps it was a defect in past models? not sure how the current gen stuff is, but that is why I don't really recommend fluval anymore, though a canister filter is a must. My aquatop sunsun should be here next week, so I'll let you know if I have a problem.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdaddy View Post
I bought it, I've had it about a week. I've installed it on a saltwater 40G. I'm not an expert or anything. But, I wouldn't put it on a bigger aquarium because I was a little disappointed by the flow. As for the UV, water is spiraled around the UV light which appears to give it more exposure than I thought it would. I'm happy with the product, I only anticipated more power. I will post more if I have any issues.
Can you make a video review please? I am curious about this filter too.
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ive had my 302 running a few days and I have to agree, it is a little underpowered.

it is still a great filter, nothing better in this world for 50$ and it will work up to a 40G, easy. but If I could do it over I would step it up to the next model.

I ordered the optional ball valve, but the flow rate was not fast enough that I actually needed to control the power so I removed it from the line.

when I had my fluval I was always worried it would suck too much so I had a huge sponge on the intake, but with this there are no worries. Of course, I am not using it on a salt water tank right now, so I am much less paranoid.

btw, you can order these on amazon before, and it had free shipping.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com