Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

aquatop heaters bad?

Im considering getting an aquatop 300w. It is super cheap so I figured there may be some issues with it. Anyone know anything about them?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a friend that has 2 aquatop 500uv's he bought off of koi enterprises website for 110 each. He swears by them, but IMO, the product felt cheap. They edges had lots of plastic splinters and the piping was pretty bad. His flow rate was around 300-350gph (compared to my Rena Xp3) even tho it's rates at close to 550. I guess the uv is good, but then again, it kill the good bacteria as well. For the price tho, I guess you cant go wrong. Not promoting them but I think koi enterprises will warranty 1 year and if you call they sometimes offer free shipping. Im a Rena guy because the customization in media is limited by your imagination, and in the long run, it is cheaper. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Fish R friends, not food!

The ones that I saw on e-bay for cheap were 220V. Check the specs.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel618
Im considering getting an aquatop 300w. It is super cheap so I figured there may be some issues with it. Anyone know anything about them?
I have a 300w or 250w ( can't remember) in my 29g and I set it and it keeps temp great so far... I had to recalibrate it on day 2 but since then I have no complaints

they are really cheap on Amazon.com
Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur
I have a friend that has 2 aquatop 500uv's he bought off of koi enterprises website for 110 each. He swears by them, but IMO, the product felt cheap. They edges had lots of plastic splinters and the piping was pretty bad. His flow rate was around 300-350gph (compared to my Rena Xp3) even tho it's rates at close to 550. I guess the uv is good, but then again, it kill the good bacteria as well. For the price tho, I guess you cant go wrong. Not promoting them but I think koi enterprises will warranty 1 year and if you call they sometimes offer free shipping. Im a Rena guy because the customization in media is limited by your imagination, and in the long run, it is cheaper. Good luck!
I actually have had one of these filters for a couple of weeks. Im very pleased with it. I decided to keep the uv off for the most part. I just don't want a heater to freak out and kill my fish.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur
the original poster is talking about heaters, why are you talking about filters?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreekers View Post
the original poster is talking about heaters, why are you talking about filters?
Wow, I'm an idiot, haha ugh
Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreekers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur View Post
Wow, I'm an idiot, haha ugh

I've never heard of the brand. I think the comments about the uv relflect the quality of the brand overall so it's relevant, at least to me.

Owned by 3 cats: Ernest, Britney and Milo
p3purr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, heaters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Tank? | Lighting? »