Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thumbs up aque clear power filters

Has any one here use AC HOB filters . thinking about getting two for my new 55 gal. Would like to hear what yall think of this kind of filters, or what yall would use on a 55gal .

Thanks

Jim

Old 04-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

AC50 is a great filter 2 of those or AC70 would work. I'd also recommend the Fluval 305, it's a great canister. Just depends on how much you want to spend I guess.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use ACs on four of my tanks and I love them. The huge media capacity and cartridgeless design are great. For a 55g, I'd strongly recommend the AC110. I've got one on my 40B and it does an awesome job without turning the tank into a vortex. If you want two filters, a pair of AC70s or an AC70 and AC50 combo would do well.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Third here. AC is GREAT. I use two 50s on a 29 gallon.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have an AC70 on a 40b, and so far have nothing bad to say. There is a waterfall sound, the lower the water level, the louder it gets, however if water level is kept up, they are almost silent. I hear no motor/impellor noise at all, and my tank is located in the main living area of my home. I really like that I can mix and match the media to the specific needs of my tank.

In over my head, but loving every minute of it!
Fishy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #6

I have an AC 110 running alongside an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 -- it sounds overkill, but this is for a 60 gallon goldfish tank that doesn't see that many water changes and is taking into consideration the type of fish being kept. Thus, there is no such thing as too much filtration.

My 100 sometimes "chokes" a bit and "throws" the water from the return fall into the tank in a choppy way -- but other than that, it has been a silent workhorse, and considering the powerful motor in this thing I am so surprised at how quiet it is especially compared to my Aqueon, which makes a racket...

Funny I came across this thread; I was going to just start a new one about my 110's media maintenance...
Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 13 tanks running, 10 with aquaclear filters. Most are 70's or 110's, I run 2 70's on my crowded 55.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
I have 13 tanks running, 10 with aquaclear filters. Most are 70's or 110's, I run 2 70's on my crowded 55.
You're running 13 tanks in your home? or in a business (LFS)?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It wouldn't be much of an lfs with only 13 tanks. I do breed and sell a few fish, but not enough to do more than support the hobby. I have more empty ones on hand, but 13 take up enough time and effort to maintain properly.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
It wouldn't be much of an lfs with only 13 tanks. I do breed and sell a few fish, but not enough to do more than support the hobby. I have more empty ones on hand, but 13 take up enough time and effort to maintain properly.
Well, it could be enough for an LFS if it were a very small operation; I've seen them.

Wow -- I cannot imagine caring for and maintaining 13 fish tanks -- that's insane to me, personally. But I have a hard time keeping up with one.

Tags
clear, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com