Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Aqueon 29 Gallon Deluxe Kit Question

Hey Everyone,

I just bought this Aqueon 29 gallon deluxe kit as a gift for my husband because he has gone fish crazed all of a sudden. When I bought this tank I asked if I could put saltwater fish in this tank and was told that I could. However, after reading up on how to make a saltwater tank setup, I am a bit nervous that this tank isn't made for saltwater fish (I have read that there are specific tanks for them). Any ideas? I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on saltwater fish and have the poor babies die! Thanks in advance!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welll, the tank is saltwater dafce, but saltwater is waay more difficult to maintain. Id start with freshwater for now, unless you have the extra time/money for saltwater

Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #3

I agree with hippy, I wanted a salt water tank but opted for freshwater instead just to gain some experience in fish keeping as I'm still new to this hobby, but it's entirely ur choice of course I'm sure there are people who started with saltwater tanks and managed just fine. Good luck
Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There is no "specific" tank for sw. As long as it hold water you can do fw or sw. There are other expenses involved with sw tanks though that the kit you bought won't address.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #5

Thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure because the guy I was talking to at the store would pause, think and you could just tell that he did not really know. He was saying that the kit would be a great start for saltwater fish. I just didn't want to go ahead and spend hundreds of dollars on the fish and have them die, the poor things.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm glad your heads in the right place sp many people just get the tank and filler up with who knows what, only to hit disaster. Saltwater is a bit more specific, and water peremeters have to be even more perfect. Id highly reccomend a fishless cycle, and use that time to acquire all the extras you need, so your not blowing a bunch of cash at once. Deff. Keep us posted, as I'm wanting to do a saltwater pretty soon, and I'm very interested. Also, welcome to aa, and goood luck!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

And I know for a fact my friend started with saltwater, and now they have coral and all sorts of weird goodies, and it all works perfectly, my understanding is the cost finacially is just a bit more, as is the time and maintenence, again, goodluck
Old 07-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

As a side note, my first SW tank was the exact one you have. The aqueon 29g kit from petco. I loved that tank and did quite well with it. Just had to add a different light for corals and I added a HOB protein skimmer. I was using a regular aquaclear filter ( I didn't like the one the kit came with) as well.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #9

Thanks guys!
Carey, it was good to know that you started off with the same tank. It's a relief to know I didn't buy a bad product! Would you mind if I asked what light you changed to for corals?

Hippy Guy, we are taking your advice too about going non-fish for while. I have been reading a lot about how it is super important to get the water levels exactly right. We are going to try it for a week or so and see how it goes. I have also read that it is bad to buy all the fish at once so we are thinking about buying a couple community fish at first and then a few more a little later after the first ones become accustomed. I have been looking at compatibility with the saltwater fish and it seems like all the ugly/cute ones I like are aggressive! It should be fun to shop for them!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I mean in a 50, you could technically do a fish in with a few small fish and I'm sure it be fine, but most everyone here will agree, fishless kis best, and add fish accordingly so you don't overwhelm the bacteria. Also you'll have more money for goodies like driftwood, and deco along the way (before the fish even go in, you can have it all set up. There's some great posts about fishless cycling, someone will jump in with a link in. No time

Tags
29 gallon, aqueon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com