Aqueon & Python - couple of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now I have the Aqueon 25' system, which works beautifully. The only problem is that where my new tank is, I have to rest the hose across several doorknobs & the back of a chair to make it long enough (doing all of this keeps it off the ground, so it stretches a bit farther) but I know this is hard on the setup. I'm going to either upgrade to the 50' or get the 20' extension made by Python but have 2 questions.

1. Does anyone know the diameter of the hose used by the Python system or if it's the same as the Aqueon? I don't want to get this extension & then not have it fit.

2. Anyone have experience using these extensions? I'm sure they're fine but am worried about it leaking - a puddle would really clash with the decor of my living room!

A friend just told me he thought the ends of the Python hoses are usually fitted with threads so I wouldn't be able to extend one of the Python hoses to my Aqueon system, which is just a rubber tube - true? Please let me know so can do something else if necessary!

Thanks!

you could just go to lowes and pick up some tubing... they sell it by the foot... that would be your cheapest route. not sure on the actual python, mine is a walmart knock off (half the price) and it has standard 3/4" tubing... ive considered getting a water hose to extend mine,as it is the same size thread...

Unfortunately I need about 45' and no one near me has it in that length and I haven't found any connectors that I feel comfortable using, the 'nipple'-style connectors being the best to my knowledge. That's why I wanted to know if others had experience using the Python extensions, maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

Right now I'm siphoning from the 75gal turtle tank into my kitchen sink but have to use the bathroom sink for the fish tank. With the extension, I can keep all the nasties away from my toothbrush & not have to drag the silly thing from room to room! Could do both from the bathroom but that made even my boyfriend squeamish:lol:

To save water, as the previous poster said, I drain all my large tanks out a window or door.

You would be better off buying a length of hose from your local home repair store and using a barbed connector with a hose clamp on it, if money is a consideration. A fourty-five foot extension is quiet a bit, in your first post, you said you only needed 20 feet, so thats a little confusing-can you clarify which it is you need?

Before I would spend that much money on buying a 50 foot extension from python, I'd just buy a new 50 foot python or go to the local hardware store and get some tubing..

I do have several windows, but live an apartment so all have screens that I don't think I'm allowed to remove once a week. The door is about 13' from my 75gal tank & in a different room than my 55. To me, the biggest benefit to the Aqueon isn't in draining but in filling - lifting 40+lb buckets of water shoulder-high is tiring & I tend to spill a bit. Plus having the water flow in from a hose seems less stressful to the fish than dumping it in gallon after gallon (did this for a while when the nitrate in my tap water was 30+, hardly saw my fish for several hours after changing the water). Also have several stains on the paint behind my 75 from loosing my grip on the bucket. I have the regular siphons as well & use them when I'm in a hurry. Both the tanks are high enough off the ground that once the siphon gets going, I can shut the water off.

In order to reach from my kitchen sink to the 55gal tank, I need approximately 40-45' of tubing. At present I have the 25' Aqueon system so by adding the 20' extension to that, I have 45', or I could simply spring for a new 50' system. My preference would be the 20' extension but if others have had bad experience in doing this, then I'll just get the 50'. I'm considering the 20' extension because it's about $15, which to my knowledge is cheaper than getting a 20' section of hose & the connectors but I'll try looking for the fitting suggested by Blueiz.

Hbeth, go buy a 50' section or 2 -25' sections of RV/Boat hose, it fits directly to the faucet adapter and pretty much all you need is the hoses which are dirt cheap right now due to time of year and a transition piece which is the male hose threads and simple a 1/2" nipple on the other end to put the clear hose over and hose clamp down, I made a 50' for under 20 bucks. and IMO looks better being a white hose.

For RV's & boats because it's drinking water safe? Good idea, thanks. Would still like to just get the extension but this may be easier.

Yes its potable water safe so.

If you hit the menards or home depots and the like out by you they should all be under 8 bucks per 25'. I only use 25' but heck at 6.77 for 25' I couldnt help myself.

Unfortunately I need about 45' and no one near me has it in that length and I haven't found any connectors that I feel comfortable using, the 'nipple'-style connectors being the best to my knowledge. That's why I wanted to know if others had experience using the Python extensions, maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

Right now I'm siphoning from the 75gal turtle tank into my kitchen sink but have to use the bathroom sink for the fish tank. With the extension, I can keep all the nasties away from my toothbrush & not have to drag the silly thing from room to room! Could do both from the bathroom but that made even my boyfriend squeamish:lol:

Instead of putting the water down the sink beside your toothbrush, put it down the toilet. Same drain and easier.

That would work but the siphon needs to be attached to the faucet in order to start pulling the water, don't know how to do it with a toilet & doubt I could generate the force to siphon the water 23' or so any other way. I think it would be easier to siphon it into the bathtub but the fitting isn't right.

i do that all the time hbeth... it saves on the wastewater bill each month... i do my gravel vac with my sink faucet to make sure ive got enough force to suck up everything, then i just stick the hose out the door and drain whatever is left until its down to the halfway mark... as long as the hose has water in it, you can get it to siphon without the sink...

Start the syphon manually, then let gravity take over. I start my python manually by filling up the syphon end with water from the tank while the valve is shut (or crimping the hose) then let go and voila :)

Back
Top Bottom