Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I bought an Aqueon water changer (50 ft) and set it up per the instructions. The first time I turned it on, it siphoned the water out of my tank, but it wouldn't pull up gravel like it should. It just stirred up the tank and now there's a cloud of debris. I attempted to do this again, but when I turn it on, there is very little to no suction. It doesn't even try to pull in any water from the hose. Refilling works fine.

I'm not sure why it's not working the second time, or why there wasn't enough suction to pull up the gravel. I seem to have good water pressure and I couldn't find any clogs in the hose or device.

Does anyone have suggestions on what might fix this?

You may not have enough of a difference in elevation between where your tank is and where it's draining. Just my thought...

There aren't any pockets in the hose, but my sink is about the same height as the top of my tank, maybe an inch or two higher. I even tried getting it started and lowering the hose to the ground but it just wouldn't start the siphon. I'm afraid I wasted my money on this.

If I can't get it to work, are there other ways of cleaning the gravel and such without taking the entire tank apart?

You can buy a simple siphon with a priming bulb in-line for very little money. Keep your other hose for refilling. With the priming bulb hose, you'll have to empty buckets, but it should have enough power to pull gravel into the suction tube several inches, which will agitate the gravel and remove much of the debris.

I have the same siphon...you're making sure that the lever on the side that directs water flow is in the right position, correct?

I have the same struggle sometimes and mine is connected to my utility sink in my basement. I have gone to Lowe's and bought 75 feet of tubing of the same diameter that comes in the kit and even going from one floor of the house down to another, I have struggled with the power of the suction until I make sure that that the hose goes "downhill" the entire way. The force of gravity will win...

Back
Top Bottom