Aqueon filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking at buying one of these filters any comments or warnings from current owners? ?

I have a 10g setup that I just got within the last few weeks. It came with a Top Fin Filter that I didn't really like. I got an Aqueon 10 quiet filer and its working well. Cleared up my water and got ammonia down to a safe level. ..Only thing I have not figured out yet is how to adjust the flow. Also it vibrates a little and I have to touch it lightly to make it stop but I can deal with that

Don't bother. Get an AquaClear. We have an Aqueon quiet flow or whisper flow or whatever. Is the kind that has an LED that tells you when to change the cartridge. Cartridges are all kinds of problematic anyway. The LED started going off after two weeks. I realized I could buy a new AquaClear 20 every three months or so for what the cartridges cost. Threw out the cartridge, got Purigen and a bag of BioMax (porous ceramic cylinders), lined the cartridge holder with quilting batting, and used that instead.

I like that it is self priming, but that's about it. You can't fix or replace any components. Impeller dies? You have to buy a whole new filter. The tube (I guess) that pulls water past the motor is very narrow and difficult to clean. I figured out how to take it apart with a screwdriver and needle nosed pliers, then I could clean it with a Qtip. With the AquaClear, you can take apart most of it by hand, and you can clean almost everything with a toothbrush at the smallest. You have to clean the impeller housing with a Qtip, but not often.

Also, I haven't found a prefilter that actually fits the intake tube.

Theres a reason aqueon filters are included in kits...cheap

Back
Top Bottom