Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Hmmmmm....interesting....thanks very much for that link!

I could also just change the KIND of fluorescent lighting in my hood, right, without doing any kind of modding? Perhaps something else that would look less sterile, less cold/sickly?
Of course the only issue is if your bulbs are t8's then there going to produce less total light and less par. T5's are much much better and will put out well.... High output lighting.

I'm gonna check around and see what I can find as far as upgraded t8's.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Of course the only issue is if your bulbs are t8's then there going to produce less total light and less par. T5's are much much better and will put out well.... High output lighting.

I'm gonna check around and see what I can find as far as upgraded t8's.
Thanks very much for your ongoing help; it's appreciated...though I don't really "know" what all of the "references" to the light types are about, or what they indicate...

Old 02-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Thanks very much for your ongoing help; it's appreciated...though I don't really "know" what all of the "references" to the light types are about, or what they indicate...
Your welcome. We'll find something. I understand. Your lighting your saying is dull and hospital like lol. Can you put up a FTS? Give me a better idea of what we're taking about. Also I just realized we have hijacked this thread big time. Feel free to PM me or start another thread so others can help as well.

I'm looking into upgrades as we speak.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

These maybe

Marineland® Hidden LED Lighting System - Fish - Sale - PetSmart

Freshwater Saltwater Reef Aquarium LED Lighting System | Marineland

Looks promising

Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #25

Thank you, Convict; indeed, I shall either start a new thread or PM you on this subject -- my sincere apologies to the OP and others who have participated in this thread, and for the severe hijacking...

I will try and get some shots of the tank as it stands right now with the lights on, so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about; please stand by...
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
You know something, I'm not sure if they're single or double rows of bulbs in each hood/fixture; I THINK they're double, believe it or not...I will have to check the next time I take them off...

Here's the thing, though: Can't I somehow keep these hoods and replace the bulbs inside with something else? I realize the fluorescent lights are the "clip-in" kind of connection as opposed to the standard bulb "screw-in" type, but can't I find any incadescent or LED setup that would allow me to use these fixtures/hoods?
With the Aqueon LED you can use the hood you got. Take off the bulb fixture and set the LED in it's place, like this:
Old 02-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #27

Convict:

I was going to send you a PM about this update because of the thread jackin', but I just wanted to simply say I just did a 20 or so percent water change on the tank, because I was in there with my arm in the water trying to do some aquascaping rearranging and fixing of the bubble bars messing things about for the fish, and I glanced at the light fixtures under the hood -- they're single bulb strips, as you suspected...
Old 02-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferzbooboo View Post
With the Aqueon LED you can use the hood you got. Take off the bulb fixture and set the LED in it's place, like this:
Hello, Jeffer...

Thank you for the input; it's difficult to make out the pic you provided -- is that your setup? If so, I'm assuming it's saltwater? The hood and pieces look devoured in salt deposits...

So, I can swap my fluorescent bulbs for LEDs and keep the hood?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Hello, Jeffer...

Thank you for the input; it's difficult to make out the pic you provided -- is that your setup? If so, I'm assuming it's saltwater? The hood and pieces look devoured in salt deposits...

So, I can swap my fluorescent bulbs for LEDs and keep the hood?
It's my set up. It's not SW, just mineral build up. This setup is on the bottom of 2 29g's stacked so I was trying to get a pick without having to take the top off. Pulled the top off and here's a better picture
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferzbooboo View Post
It's my set up. It's not SW, just mineral build up. This setup is on the bottom of 2 29g's stacked so I was trying to get a pick without having to take the top off. Pulled the top off and here's a better picture
Wait -- please tell me your STACKED 29 gallons were EMPTY...

Tags
aqueon, led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com