Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Would these yield a more "natural, shimmering, underwater" effect compared to the fluorescent lamps I'm running now?

The problem is modifying these things for use in my current hoods...
IMHO yes it most definitely will. You'll get much more natural look plus the shimmer!! Both seem good so it comes down to budget and preference

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Personally seeing them side by side I'd go with the Aqueon. I like the color intensity better, it has more shimmer, and the red lights really make the fish color "pop" more than the Marineland, but that's my opinion.
They're both excellent fixtures and no matter which one you go with you're not going to be disappointed. If you have a fish store near you, go in and see if they have them in stock and ask them to throw them on a tank so you can see the difference in person, the worst they cant tell you is no.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #43

Thank you, both; here are a couple of questions, though:

There is a repeated reference to the color "red" when talking about one of these lights, and I just don't see it; can someone point it out to me?

Also -- should either of these fixtures look "warmer" in the tank, on the water, than the fluorescent lamps I'm running now?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Again in my opinion the aqueon is definitely brighter however the the double bright is warmer IMO. I Actually but 2 double brights on my tank and it was too bright. I like the the soft, warm look of the double brights but again that's just me.

There both crisp white LED's BUT I will admit the brighter whiter LED does appear to be the aqueon.

Hope this helps

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #45

"Warmer" than fluorescent lighting?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thank you, both; here are a couple of questions, though:

There is a repeated reference to the color "red" when talking about one of these lights, and I just don't see it; can someone point it out to me?

Also -- should either of these fixtures look "warmer" in the tank, on the water, than the fluorescent lamps I'm running now?
The red light will help add a different color mix. Under one fixture an ornament may look green, but when you add red light it will look more yellow.
By "warmer" do you mean like 3700k, 6700k, etc?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferzbooboo View Post
The red light will help add a different color mix. Under one fixture an ornament may look green, but when you add red light it will look more yellow.
By "warmer" do you mean like 3700k, 6700k, etc?
Not sure exactly what temperature I mean or referring to; I just know that the lamps included in the hood package with this tank we bought look downright HORRIFIC...they give off like a sickly, cold, greenish hue that reminds me of a hospital ward...difficult to explain, but I will try and get some images up to assist with that...
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Not sure exactly what temperature I mean or referring to; I just know that the lamps included in the hood package with this tank we bought look downright HORRIFIC...they give off like a sickly, cold, greenish hue that reminds me of a hospital ward...difficult to explain, but I will try and get some images up to assist with that...
Nope, I know exactly what you mean. Like a hospital room or ER. I got ya, were on the same page. You want a warmer a more eye appealing light. Something easy to look at with sharp bright colors yet warm and kinda homey. Not like your walking into your hospital room waiting to get your tonsils out lol.

I think I got it no?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Nope, I know exactly what you mean. Like a hospital room or ER. I got ya, were on the same page. You want a warmer a more eye appealing light. Something easy to look at with sharp bright colors yet warm and kinda homey. Not like your walking into your hospital room waiting to get your tonsils out lol.

I think I got it no?
Yup...you pretty much got it, 'Con!

I don't know WHAT kinds of bulbs Marineland put in these hoods, but they're really off-putting; if you read some of the owners comments on Petsmart's site that bought this Heartland Ensemble, you'll see where many of them mentioning replacing the lighting...

It gives the tank a really odd look, difficult to describe; would switching to LEDs or even incandescent help this? Or should I get a different variant of fluorescent?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Yup...you pretty much got it, 'Con!

I don't know WHAT kinds of bulbs Marineland put in these hoods, but they're really off-putting; if you read some of the owners comments on Petsmart's site that bought this Heartland Ensemble, you'll see where many of them mentioning replacing the lighting...

It gives the tank a really odd look, difficult to describe; would switching to LEDs or even incandescent help this? Or should I get a different variant of fluorescent?
LED's would help big time. Not much in the way I replacement bulbs for that fixture.

Tags
aqueon, led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com