Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to NetBloke Send a message via MSN to NetBloke Send a message via Yahoo to NetBloke
Aqueon LED lighting

Just looking for opinions on these LEDs lights. I see the general view is not great for plants. How are are they generally? Quality? Longevity?

They are on sale at PetSmart for $75 for a 48 inch. Sounds like a good deal.

Thanks!

NetBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have experience with that light but I've heard mixed reviews. If it were me, I'd go with marine land double brights.

This is just my opinion of course. Worse case, buy it, try it, hate it, return it. LOL you don't even wanna know how many lights, light fixtures etc I went through. My wanted to kill me.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
I don't have experience with that light but I've heard mixed reviews. If it were me, I'd go with marine land double brights.
What part of the Big Apple you in?

Regarding the light, I'm interested in this as well -- the dual hoods that came with my brand new Marineland 60 gallon setup from Pet-not-so-Smart house fluorescent lighting systems that look HORRID and give off a sickly, greenish hospital ward-like glow...so I'd like to change my lighting at some point...

I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, though -- a softer fluorescent, indandescent, LED, ones that give off that "shimmering" effect...I see you mentioned the Marineland double bright LEDs, but I was interested in those lights they make that have the DAY/NIGHT switch in which the DAY puts off standard/incadescent/LED lighting and the NIGHT casts the entire tank in a dark blue hue...do you have any experience with these?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
What part of the Big Apple you in?

Regarding the light, I'm interested in this as well -- the dual hoods that came with my brand new Marineland 60 gallon setup from Pet-not-so-Smart house fluorescent lighting systems that look HORRID and give off a sickly, greenish hospital ward-like glow...so I'd like to change my lighting at some point...

I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, though -- a softer fluorescent, indandescent, LED, ones that give off that "shimmering" effect...I see you mentioned the Marineland double bright LEDs, but I was interested in those lights they make that have the DAY/NIGHT switch in which the DAY puts off standard/incadescent/LED lighting and the NIGHT casts the entire tank in a dark blue hue...do you have any experience with these?
It sounds like your talking about moonlights? My fixture has daylights and then at night I have the option to turn on the moonlights.

Oh and right outside NYC, a stones throw away

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
It sounds like your talking about moonlights? My fixture has daylights and then at night I have the option to turn on the moonlights.

Oh and right outside NYC, a stones throw away
So, you're in one of the boroughs? I used to live in Nassau County...

Marineland doesn't call them "moonlights," but I think that's what I'm talking about...here, have a look:

Freshwater Saltwater LED Aquarium Kits | Marineland

Actually, now that I looked into it further, it doesn't seem like I'd be able to get these, as they're only sold as a package in a hood that comes with the tank kits shown in that link...
Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

So, you're in one of the boroughs? I used to live in Nassau County...

Marineland doesn't call them "moonlights," but I think that's what I'm talking about...here, have a look:

Freshwater Saltwater LED Aquarium Kits | Marineland

Actually, now that I looked into it further, it doesn't seem like I'd be able to get these, as they're only sold as a package in a hood that comes with the tank kits shown in that link...
Have you looked into the marineland double brights?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23738

Check out my album the updated cichlid one. That's the ML DB's

I'm in Westchester County but was born and grew up in the Bronx, East Tremont near the cemetery. Around that area.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to NetBloke Send a message via MSN to NetBloke Send a message via Yahoo to NetBloke
Ok I see mixed reviews on both. Perhaps I should just buy and try.
NetBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBloke View Post
Ok I see mixed reviews on both. Perhaps I should just buy and try.
That's the best thing to do in my opinion. What one likes the other may not. I know people that run 6 or 8 bulb t5 HO fixtures on there cichlid tanks and I'm happy with one ML DB.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Have you looked into the marineland double brights?

Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System

Check out my album the updated cichlid one. That's the ML DB's

I'm in Westchester County but was born and grew up in the Bronx, East Tremont near the cemetery. Around that area.
My wife grew up in Westchester; small world...

I don't think I can use the lighting you cite in that link because I don't want to lose my hoods...
Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

My wife grew up in Westchester; small world...

I don't think I can use the lighting you cite in that link because I don't want to lose my hoods...
Ahh yes small small world. That stinks about the hood issue. You mean the glass lids?

Tags
aqueon, led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com