Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Aqueon QuietFlow question

Havent had a tank in a long time but my daughter wanted one so I started up a tank a couple months ago and have an Aqueon QuietFlow 20 running on it. I need to change the media on it but im worried about losing the BB. In the past Ive always had filters that had a sponge but this one just has an insert with carbon in it, and its supposed to house all the BB on this flimsy little ceramic grate.

im now aware that this was a poor choice for a filter but switching right now really isnt an option.

Can I alter the set up in some way that provides more surface area for the BB to grow. maybe use a different companies stuff. and when i change the carbon filtration pad am I gonna go through a mini cycle. I cant believe that little grate is really doing much. any help would be appreciated .

Mike W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Dear Mike W,
With the Aqueon HOB filters many people take the cartridge, cut a small slit to get rid of the carbon and then use the carbonless cartridge until it falls apart (just rinsing in tank water to clean.)

You should not have a mini-cycle when you take out the carbon or when you just rinse it out in tank water.

I continue to use my Aqueon 55 that way and have added as many bio max ring-things as I can, in front of the cartridge, to boost the BB. It sounds noisy until the filter is full of water but works well.

Hope this helps.
revchristinejday is offline   Reply With Quote

aqueon, flow, quietflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com