Aqueon water changer ( a lesson on frugality)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Fisher

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Picked one of these up a few weeks ago for 25.00 new off ebay. Figured hey I saved 15.00 over a python, boy was I wrong. List of issues

1. Connections leak. Even with some caulk/sealer over the barbs. Ended up using worm drive hose clamps - 3.99 for 5

2. Decided to buy food grade tubing from home depot for my 20' extension. Another mistake. when they packaged it they kinked the hose and it wont unkink. MEaning flow is terrible under suction. Another 4.00 wasted

3. Faucet adapter was not included in aqueon kit, another 7.00

4. I also bought a brass joint to connect hoses. It as worth the 5.00

So i spent around an extra 16.00 to have a water changer that kinda works. I just ordered the correct aqueon extesnion hose off amazon for 19.00 and plan to use the brass coupler as I know their stock one is junk.

So lesson learned is sometimes it doesn't pay to cheap out.

I just created my own from Lowe's minus faucet connector. Stayed with 11/2 foot of 1 and a quarter clear tube and tapered it down to half inch using reducer barbed connectors and short piece of intermittent tube.

Attachments

• 1419966075101.jpg
    1419966075101.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 117
Only good thing that came of buying the aqueon changer?? That sweet tank clip, think it was supposed to come with 2 actually? And I was able to replace someone else's vacuum tube with the extra parts o had lying around..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At least something good came of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have had my Aqueon for 3 years now. The only thing I did was buy a stainless adapter to replace the plastic one.

Cool. I'm still new to it all. Trying to absorb add much from everyone's posts as possible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Only good thing that came of buying the aqueon changer?? That sweet tank clip, think it was supposed to come with 2 actually? And I was able to replace someone else's vacuum tube with the extra parts o had lying around..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feel robbed, lol, mine didn't come with any clips

How exactly does this water changer work? I looked up some pictures and apparently it uses the running water from the faucet to create the vacuum for vacuuming, but then when you want to refill the tank the water comes from the faucet? How does this work for dechlorination?

When refilling the tank directly, most add prime/safe directly to the tank immediately before refilling. Some add gradually during refill. Treat for entire tank volume.

I bought one last month and have no issues thus far (but I didn't get a clip!). I am heading down to the pet store today to pick up the extension since I moved my tank.

Well UPS dropped of the Aqueon extension hose earlier. It is a slightly smaller inside and outside diameter than the hose that comes with the water changer. I heated it some with hot water to get it on the brass coupler and the vacuum pump. It works great now! Did water changes in three tanks and it went well. I should of bought factory stuff to begin with, sometimes it doesn't pay to be cheap.

When refilling the tank directly, most add prime/safe directly to the tank immediately before refilling. Some add gradually during refill. Treat for entire tank volume.

I didn't know it worked that fast. That's good that you can do that I think I will get one of these then sense I just started a bigger aquarium...do you have any advice on how to regulate the temp of the water you are refilling it with though?

I didn't know it worked that fast. That's good that you can do that I think I will get one of these then sense I just started a bigger aquarium...do you have any advice on how to regulate the temp of the water you are refilling it with though?

I let the water come out the bottom of the aqueon faucet pump and measure the temp with a cheap digital thermometer. Jut place the probe in the water stream and adjust.

I decided to "go cheap" and bought 10' of tubing and a connector instead of the "factory extension". 1st pass - fail! Came apart and was able to shut off the water supply before too much damage (hey, the hardwood was dirty from all the snow so it needed a good cleaning! LoL).

Put on another connector and works perfectly. Total cost <$10. But it's a pain wrapping up 30' of hose.

Re temp - I run water through the hose and put water in a small cup, then use my tank thermometer to get it close to tank temp.

And after I siphon off the desired amount of water out of the tank I always go back and run water into the sink to make sure I flush all the tank water that is in the hose, otherwise you're just putting all that back into the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom