Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Gravity is what makes gravel vacs suck out water without power. If you don't have somewhere to drain water into that's below water level and near the tank, then you're out of luck. The closest drain below my tank is in my bathroom, and it's far enough away that I can't get much suction with it.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #22

The distance from tank to drain shouldn't affect the speed of flow

It's very rare that a tanks water line is below a place to drain water via gravity unless you tank is on the floor

If you have the move up and down type of gravel cleaner the starts the syphon then you have no need to suck the hose

Anyway that's enough debate about this I think the python and other water changers are very over priced and that's the last I will say on the matter

Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post

It's very rare that a tanks water line is below a place to drain water via gravity unless you tank is on the floor

If you have the move up and down type of gravel cleaner the starts the syphon then you have no need to suck the hose

Anyway that's enough debate about this I think the python and other water changers are very over priced and that's the last I will say on the matter
I'm still not following you and you still haven't cleared up that whole hit water thing. If your going to post and other members don't understand can you please take the time to at least try and make us understand. Who said anything about drinking hot water.

Also... These water changers works awesome and I for one highly recommend using one against the old but tested and true "bucket brigade"

We can agree to disagree but to be frank I don't even understand half the things you wrote.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
That's precisely how it works.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post

I'm still not following you and you still haven't cleared up that whole hit water thing. If your going to post and other members don't understand can you please take the time to at least try and make us understand. Who said anything about drinking hot water.

Also... These water changers works awesome and I for one highly recommend using one against the old but tested and true "bucket brigade"

We can agree to disagree but to be frank I don't even understand half the things you wrote.
I think you need to read everything in this thread

With a python most people use a mixer tap to warm the water a bit before it fills the tank
This I why I stated the hot water from the tap isn't safe to drink so not safe for fish

Keep up
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post

I think you need to read everything in this thread

With a python most people use a mixer tap to warm the water a bit before it fills the tank
This I why I stated the hot water from the tap isn't safe to drink so not safe for fish

Keep up
Ok well... That makes a bit more sense now. I'm not sure what exactly a tap mixer is though.

I just use my bathroom sink. Hot/Cold faucet.

I think anyone should add "hot" water to here tank. As I mentioned it should be temp matched as close as possible. Also who drinks hot water?

Look if I'm coming off harsh its bit intention I'm trying to understand where your coming from. And yes I agree, anyone posting should ask ways read the entire thread before adding a reply. I've been guilty of doing this and it just confuses people.

But really... I never heard of a "tap mixer" or people "mixing" there water before adding to tank.

I just go from sink to tank 1... 2... 3...

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

A mixer tap is basically just your normal hot/cold tap. It takes your cold water and scalding hot water and puts them in a ratio according to however you adjusted it.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
A mixer tap is basically just your normal hot/cold tap. It takes your cold water and scalding hot water and puts them in a ratio according to however you adjusted it.
Oh ok... Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DjBootleg Send a message via Skype™ to DjBootleg
Wow this thread is going crazy ahhaah
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN

Keep up
If you want to make the tap water safer for your fish you can back-flush your water heater and change the anode rods from aluminum (commonly found in most water heaters) to magnesium anode rods. It makes the water from hot water heaters much healthier for fish and for people in an emergency (safe to use if the power is out for a long time after a natural disaster). Most people never bother with it and their fish do just fine.

Tags
aqueon, flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com