Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DjBootleg Send a message via Skype™ to DjBootleg
Aqueon Water Changer flow issues

So I got the Aqueon Water Changer. Such a good idea. But my only problem is the flow REALLY sucks. When I clean the gravel it takes forrrevvverrr for it to suck up all the poop, debry etc. I watched the video on YouTube and on the video it appears to clean the gravel very well.

Anyone else have this issue???? How can I fix?

Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you using the one that hooks up to the sink if so increase the water pressure on the sink.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank98284 View Post
Are you using the one that hooks up to the sink if so increase the water pressure on the sink.
But how would that make it suck up the gravel more? I don't have the sink on when I do it. And if you think it will work how do I do it??
Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's how the water changer works. It comes with a sink adapter that screws into a sink after you remove the aerator. Then you connect the plastic T part, turn on the water with the bottom bell opened and it sucks the water out of the tank using the suction from the water running out of the sink. Once the tank has the amount of water removed that you're happy with try to match the sink water temperature with the tank's temp, add chlorine remover to the tank, then you close the bell on the bottom of the T at the sink and the water will start to fill the tank. Once it's full, you turn off the ball valve on the hose and open the bell at the sink to suck the water out of the hose.

The YouTube vid should show this. I haven't seen it but I've used these for ages. They rock, but you kinda have to get the hang of it. Once you have it down you'll love it.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

It's called the Venturi effect. In essence, faster moving water creates a suction that pulls the water to the sink faster than gravity alone will.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

^That's it. For the life of me I couldn't remember what it was called.

If the water isn't on at the sink it won't pull the water out from the tank. It acts like someone sucking on the end of the hose the whole time. Clever design.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
^That's it. For the life of me I couldn't remember what it was called.

If the water isn't on at the sink it won't pull the water out from the tank. It acts like someone sucking on the end of the hose the whole time. Clever design.
I don't think you guys understand what I'm asking lol. The suction really sucks. I know how it works and all that lol. But isn't it suppose to suck all the debris from the gravel? Like a normal gravel vac would???
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBootleg View Post

I don't think you guys understand what I'm asking lol. The suction really sucks. I know how it works and all that lol. But isn't it suppose to suck all the debris from the gravel? Like a normal gravel vac would???
Yes it's suppose to do. How is your water pressure normally when you turn the faucet on?

My water changer kicks!! But my water pressure is on the money. I have good pressure and its not a long stretch. How far is the hose from tank to sink.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I know what your talking about. I have this problem occasionally. Make sure the water exiting is lower than the suction tube. Because if your not using the sink.. Then your relying on gravity. It needs to go down hill. Preferably straight down.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #10

Never seen the point in this tool just get a long hose from tank to garden

Then get one of them gravel cleaners you move up and down in the water to start the water moving

Then just refill the tank from the garden hose

Just adding cold water is good as it simulates rain fall

The water you drain from the tank is full of nitrates which are good for the garden plants

Also adding hot water from a tap is not good for a few reasons

1. It could be water that sits in a tank above your house

2. The water from the hot tap is full of scale we all descale our kettle but we never descale put boiler

3. Would you make tea or coffee from a hot tap or even drink water from the hot tap its not safe to drink and if its not safe to drink its no good for my fish

Tags
aqueon, flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com