Aqueon Water Changer flow issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DjBootleg

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got the Aqueon Water Changer. Such a good idea. But my only problem is the flow REALLY sucks. When I clean the gravel it takes forrrevvverrr for it to suck up all the poop, debry etc. I watched the video on YouTube and on the video it appears to clean the gravel very well.

Anyone else have this issue???? How can I fix?

Are you using the one that hooks up to the sink if so increase the water pressure on the sink.

But how would that make it suck up the gravel more? I don't have the sink on when I do it. And if you think it will work how do I do it??

That's how the water changer works. It comes with a sink adapter that screws into a sink after you remove the aerator. Then you connect the plastic T part, turn on the water with the bottom bell opened and it sucks the water out of the tank using the suction from the water running out of the sink. Once the tank has the amount of water removed that you're happy with try to match the sink water temperature with the tank's temp, add chlorine remover to the tank, then you close the bell on the bottom of the T at the sink and the water will start to fill the tank. Once it's full, you turn off the ball valve on the hose and open the bell at the sink to suck the water out of the hose.

The YouTube vid should show this. I haven't seen it but I've used these for ages. They rock, but you kinda have to get the hang of it. Once you have it down you'll love it.

It's called the Venturi effect. In essence, faster moving water creates a suction that pulls the water to the sink faster than gravity alone will.

^That's it. For the life of me I couldn't remember what it was called.

If the water isn't on at the sink it won't pull the water out from the tank. It acts like someone sucking on the end of the hose the whole time. Clever design.

^That's it. For the life of me I couldn't remember what it was called.

If the water isn't on at the sink it won't pull the water out from the tank. It acts like someone sucking on the end of the hose the whole time. Clever design.

I don't think you guys understand what I'm asking lol. The suction really sucks. I know how it works and all that lol. But isn't it suppose to suck all the debris from the gravel? Like a normal gravel vac would???

I don't think you guys understand what I'm asking lol. The suction really sucks. I know how it works and all that lol. But isn't it suppose to suck all the debris from the gravel? Like a normal gravel vac would???

Yes it's suppose to do. How is your water pressure normally when you turn the faucet on?

My water changer kicks!! But my water pressure is on the money. I have good pressure and its not a long stretch. How far is the hose from tank to sink.

I think I know what your talking about. I have this problem occasionally. Make sure the water exiting is lower than the suction tube. Because if your not using the sink.. Then your relying on gravity. It needs to go down hill. Preferably straight down.

Never seen the point in this tool just get a long hose from tank to garden

Then get one of them gravel cleaners you move up and down in the water to start the water moving

Then just refill the tank from the garden hose

Just adding cold water is good as it simulates rain fall

The water you drain from the tank is full of nitrates which are good for the garden plants

Also adding hot water from a tap is not good for a few reasons

1. It could be water that sits in a tank above your house

2. The water from the hot tap is full of scale we all descale our kettle but we never descale put boiler

3. Would you make tea or coffee from a hot tap or even drink water from the hot tap its not safe to drink and if its not safe to drink its no good for my fish

Then get one of them gravel cleaners you move up and down in the water to start the water moving
The point of a water changer isn't to make starting water movement easier, but to continue water movement even if you can't use gravity to keep it going.

The water you drain from the tank is full of nitrates which are good for the garden plants

I, for one, live in an apartment and don't have a garden hose. Or a garden.

While this is true, there are two things wrong with this. 1) Tap water is often colder than rain water, and 2) The water added in a water change is relatively speaking much greater than the water added during rain. We're talking 5-10% over the course of hours vs 10-50% over the course of minutes. It's potentially unsafe.

2. The water from the hot tap is full of scale we all descale our kettle but we never descale put boiler

3. Would you make tea or coffee from a hot tap or even drink water from the hot tap its not safe to drink and if its not safe to drink its no good for my fish

1) Not necessarily bad, and very unlikely. If you have this, then you probably know about it.

2) All water will have minerals in it, assuming it has the same source (and they generally do)

3) It's fine to drink. I make coffee out of that water. I bathe in that water.

Never seen the point in this tool just get a long hose from tank to garden

I really have no clue where half your post came from. The water changers are a great tool. I live in a apartment so no garden or use of any garden hose. The water changer goes from my bathroom sink to my tank (about 10-15) feet. It makes things ALOT easier.

What are your talking about hot water and tea and coffee? You lost me there. Who said fill a fish tank with hot water. You temp match the best you can and simply flip the valve and it will fill the tank with temp watch water. You add Prime or other conditioners to the tank also...

What's a "hot tap?" anyway, My tap water gives me the option of cold or hot with this amazing option to use both to make warm water also.

You said adding cold water is good I respectfully disagree and the tank water is full of nitrates? Not really. My nitrates on a bad day maybe 10ppm. That's not "loaded" with nitrates. Also, I like to have a bucket of tank water to clean my sponges etc in.

"We all descale our kettle but never descale put boiler?"

You got me there. Then you went off on this hot water thing which honestly gave me a headache

I'm sorry if this post comes off hard but I'm just being honest. I really have no idea what your talking about BUT I'm interested to know.

Please feel free to elaborate on this if you'd like.

Dino

Yes it's suppose to do. How is your water pressure normally when you turn the faucet on?

My water changer kicks!! But my water pressure is on the money. I have good pressure and its not a long stretch. How far is the hose from tank to sink.

pressure is fine with out it.. and its about 8 feet away.

I really have no clue where half your post came from. The water changers are a great tool. I live in a apartment so no garden or use of any garden hose. The water changer goes from my bathroom sink to my tank (about 10-15) feet. It makes things ALOT easier.

What are your talking about hot water and tea and coffee? You lost me there. Who said fill a fish tank with hot water. You temp match the best you can and simply flip the valve and it will fill the tank with temp watch water. You add Prime or other conditioners to the tank also...

What's a "hot tap?" anyway, My tap water gives me the option of cold or hot with this amazing option to use both to make warm water also.

You said adding cold water is good I respectfully disagree and the tank water is full of nitrates? Not really. My nitrates on a bad day maybe 10ppm. That's not "loaded" with nitrates. Also, I like to have a bucket of tank water to clean my sponges etc in.

"We all descale our kettle but never descale put boiler?"

You got me there. Then you went off on this hot water thing which honestly gave me a headache

I'm sorry if this post comes off hard but I'm just being honest. I really have no idea what your talking about BUT I'm interested to know.

Please feel free to elaborate on this if you'd like.

Dino

lmao i was thinkin the same..

I have used a python in the past and it was total rubbish I ended up using just the hose and dumping the tap connector and gravel clean part and just using a pump to drain gravel cleaner and the hose in the toilet

As for you not having gravity I don't see how it won't work as nearly all tanks are on stands higher than a bath shower or toilet

And the cold water thing well when I used to do manual water changes on my 350g the tank temp was set at 86 and after a 25% water change the temp would only drop to 82 in the summer and 78 in the winter
78 is not to cold for most fish and with rainfall at night in the wild the temp would probably drop below that

My stingrays even used to breed with the temp drop as it simulates the rainy season and time to breed

You are crazy is you drink hot water from the tap if you look at that water sometimes its not as clear as water from the cold tap

If you feel you need this tool then use it but you can half your water change time if you use a larger gage hose to drain the tank and a normal hozelock wheel hose to refill the time save on a big tank is massive com paired to say a small tank

And trying to save time must be the reason you purchased this tool in the first place isn't it

I have used a python in the past and it was total rubbish I ended up using just the hose and dumping the tap connector and gravel clean part and just using a pump to drain gravel cleaner and the hose in the toilet

As for you not having gravity I don't see how it won't work as nearly all tanks are on stands higher than a bath shower or toilet

And the cold water thing well when I used to do manual water changes on my 350g the tank temp was set at 86 and after a 25% water change the temp would only drop to 82 in the summer and 78 in the winter
78 is not to cold for most fish and with rainfall at night in the wild the temp would probably drop below that

My stingrays even used to breed with the temp drop as it simulates the rainy season and time to breed

You are crazy is you drink hot water from the tap if you look at that water sometimes its not as clear as water from the cold tap

If you feel you need this tool then use it but you can half your water change time if you use a larger gage hose to drain the tank and a normal hozelock wheel hose to refill the time save on a big tank is massive com paired to say a small tank

And trying to save time must be the reason you purchased this tool in the first place isn't it

I still have to disagree, respectfully of course. Your not making much sense and I again... Who said ANYTHING about drinking hot water? You lost me again!

I change 50% of my water from a 75 gallon tank in about 7-10 minutes. Not bad, what do you mean about not having gravity?

I can't read anymore... I'm not following at all.

My apologizes seriously.

I've said my peace DJ will figure it out.

Well you would drink hot tap water as you say so that tells me not to use it on a tank

50% water change in one go is to much to many things can change like the new waters gh kh and ph

It's much safer to do 2 x 25% per week

I reply to all quotes at once so its not directed at one person

The point of a water changer isn't to make starting water movement easier, but to continue water movement even if you can't use gravity to keep it going.

I, for one, live in an apartment and don't have a garden hose. Or a garden.

While this is true, there are two things wrong with this. 1) Tap water is often colder than rain water, and 2) The water added in a water change is relatively speaking much greater than the water added during rain. We're talking 5-10% over the course of hours vs 10-50% over the course of minutes. It's potentially unsafe.

1) Not necessarily bad, and very unlikely. If you have this, then you probably know about it.

2) All water will have minerals in it, assuming it has the same source (and they generally do)

3) It's fine to drink. I make coffee out of that water. I bathe in that water.

This quote mentions gravity

Well you would drink hot tap water as you say so that tells me not to use it on a tank

50% water change in one go is to much to many things can change like the new waters gh kh and ph

It's much safer to do 2 x 25% per week

I reply to all quotes at once so its not directed at one person

Well... I agree with you one the water change %. I do a 20-25% water change weekly and one 50% water change a month or if need be.

I'm still not understanding the drinking hot water thing. Did someone mention drinking hot water? I don't see the pleasure in that unless its tea or coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom