Aquariums and Power Loss Solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nedly

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is a little something I wanted to post regarding losing power with aquariums. I live in Maine, so not only do we have plenty of power outages, but we also have some cold temps. I have not hit winter with my tank yet, but I already considered the idea of 3 days without power and frigid temps.

Although we have wood stoves, that will not help the water in my tank. So, I decided to purchase an inverter and a battery so that I could run my tank with no power. I do have a generator, but most times we wont run it unless stuff in the freezer is about to go because it is a retched pain to deal with..

So I did some math and decided to share my project. Most power filters (up to 50 gallons) hardly run 50 watts, if that. I run two, so I am assuming a tops 100 watts. I also have a 200 watt heater, and two light bulbs that run around 15 watts a piece.So a rough estimate would say 330watts, which allows for a pretty small inverter.

So I found myself the Whistler 400watt inverter on Amazon for 25$. I also got my hands on a used but good larger interstate battery (for starts). In my first test run it ran for hours on end with the one battery (given the battery is not quite 100% capacity).

Anyone could go a step further and get a solar panel to charge the battery(s) being used. I wanted to share this because many people do not know about inverters. Now I know if I get some cold blizzardly black-outs, my fish will still be swimming in their oasis!

Attachments

• DSC04586.JPG
    DSC04586.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC04588.JPG
    DSC04588.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 85
Running everything constantly drained the battery from just above 12 volts to just below 11 volts over the duration of 5 hours. Although I could have ran it a little longer, I did not want to kill the battery. So my guess is a car battery in perfect condition could push a day.

This battery here was at 6 volts when I got it, so it is a little worn out. They also have the larger marine batteries that get 3 times the size of a car battery and push 24 volts. I would be willing to bet those would run 5-7 days, or more. In my case, at least for the moment, I have a hand full of batteries off hand just in case. : )

I was just wondering about using a computer UPS, but most of those are pretty small... this seems like a much better idea, especially for places like Maine where the power goes out for days at a time!

Most of those Computer savers have a powerful enough inverter, it is the battery that does not suffice. So in theory, if you had one of those, you could remove the inverter and hook it to a larger battery and it should work....

they sell small wind turbines for use on boats , you should have plenty of wind in Maine during the winter , more wind than sun any way
you could also heat a LARGE ROCK OR WATER ON TOP OF YOUR WOOD STOVE and heat the tank with that
I would also pick fish that can take cooler water temps like barbs or white clouds, texas chilids

You know I did not even think about heating up rocks. I would bet that might work out pretty decently! I know once I tried cooling the tank with frozen rocks but it did not work so well...

you could have a small glass tank on top of the stove at the same top height and run a low wattage pump from one tank to the other and run a siphoned hose between the tanks to keep the water level right.

Back
Top Bottom