Are air pumps/stones really needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an air stone in my 56G tank, and the pump is starting to get pretty loud (not sure if the pump is giving up the ghost, as the stone is still putting out very good bubbles). However, I have 400Gph filtration running on the tank, is the air stone really adding anything to the mix? The only thing I can think of is that it is helping oxygenate the water more than the cascade from the filters...

If that is the case, can anyone recommend a good, quiet air pump? I have a Whisper that was working wonderfully up until recently...

Using an Airstone

I have an air stone in my 56G tank, and the pump is starting to get pretty loud (not sure if the pump is giving up the ghost, as the stone is still putting out very good bubbles). However, I have 400Gph filtration running on the tank, is the air stone really adding anything to the mix? The only thing I can think of is that it is helping oxygenate the water more than the cascade from the filters...

If that is the case, can anyone recommend a good, quiet air pump? I have a Whisper that was working wonderfully up until recently...

Hello d...

Airstones don't really do much as far as gas exchange. The tiny bubbles don't create enough surface water movement. If you have filtration that amounts to a minimum gallons per hour rating (gph) of 6 times the volume of your tank, then that's sufficient.

B

I have a fairly heavily stocked tank with a heavy duty cannister filter, but it's a hexagonal tank so the surface area for gas exchange is less than a long or wide tank. I run an air pump and air curtain (as opposed to an air store) for maybe 6 hours a day or less, and it seems to really make a difference in oxygen content. But that's just my opinion. I use a fluval air pump for up to 100 gallons on my 60 gallon

Using Air Pumps

I have a fairly heavily stocked tank with a heavy duty cannister filter, but it's a hexagonal tank so the surface area for gas exchange is less than a long or wide tank. I run an air pump and air curtain (as opposed to an air store) for maybe 6 hours a day or less, and it seems to really make a difference in oxygen content. But that's just my opinion. I use a fluval air pump for up to 100 gallons on my 60 gallon

Hello Horsegirl...

Small bubbles from whatever source you have in your tank, don't create sufficient water movement at the surface, even a lot of small bubbles won't make a significant difference in the amount of oxygen that mixes with the water and the amount of carbon dioxide that's released.

The key to good gas exchange is to really agitate the water at the surface. If you use an air pump, then simply attach a length of tubing, without the air stone and place it at the bottom of the tank. You'll create large bubbles. When those much larger bubbles reach the surface they'll churn up the water much more and then you get good O2 content in the tank water and CO2 released into the air.

B

It probably just a worn diaphragm in the air pump. Whisper sell replacement diaphragms everywhere. It's super easy to fix it once you have the part for your model. You should be able to find a video that shows how to check if it's worn out and how to replace them on YouTube. It's just like fixing a flat tire... only easier.

It's always a good idea to get a fresh check valve with the new part. Whisper pumps are very reliable and can run for decades with a little TLC.

Back
Top Bottom