Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Are Canister Filters Worth It?

I am just wondering if canister filters are really worth all the hype. I am going to be setting up a 55 gallon mbuna malawai cichlid tank and I am wondering if its really worth the extra money to get a canister filter or if I could get away with just using a couple of HOB filters.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I myself prefer canisters. Depending on the stock of the tank decide how much filtration you need. I'm old school still run mag 350's!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3916591906.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	125803  

Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CichlidSensai View Post
I myself prefer canisters. Depending on the stock of the tank decide how much filtration you need. I'm old school still run mag 350's!!!!
There are a couple of reasons I am asking. From what I have read, canister filters are prone to leaking, is this true? Also, I was looking at the Eheim 2217 canister filter which has a 264 GPH flow rate, this is nearly half of what the AC 110 HOB filter flow rate is and I could put in 2 AC 110's for less than I can get one Eheim 2217 for.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Flow rate isn't everything the eheim has a much greater volume of filter material no doubt? I have had three canisters over a period of 10+ years and had no leaks. Eheim had an issue with their priming mechanism (now resolved)
Old 10-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonv26 View Post
I am just wondering if canister filters are really worth all the hype. I am going to be setting up a 55 gallon mbuna malawai cichlid tank and I am wondering if its really worth the extra money to get a canister filter or if I could get away with just using a couple of HOB filters.
For large tanks like 75gal and above I see a positive value to Canister Filters. Leaking is a downside which is one reason why I had to stop using my Fluval 404. It's the nature of the beast since gravity along with suction pulls water downward.

Now in my opinion it's 75gal -90gal tanks that's where the line blurs between which is best. HOB's like the AC-110 can easily handle a 75gal, but so can a Fluval 406 Smaller tanks like a 55 and HOB's like an AC-70 can do the job.
Once you get into the 100gal range, you get above the filtration capacity of most LFS sold HOB's.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Love the canister filter. Would love to learn how to use mine better. My 55 gallon tank with one HOB filter, and I bought a matching one and still it never seemed like enough filtration for large messy fish. Bought a canister and after 10 months I need to do my 3rd media change on it. I LOVE how much charcoal I can put in the canister and how clear the water is. I am past due on media change and just ordered 3 pounds of activated charcoal tonight. Once I bag it up and put it in my filter, my tank will be sparkling clean again.

SRC <><
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I prefer canisters over HOB. Never had one leak. After that, I think it real boils down to the name you use. XP Rena and Marineland are my choices right now.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got real lucky and found a brand new canister filter on clearance for 40 bucks that retails for 150. The store had been sent it as a demo.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been an HOB man myself but this weekend I went and splurged on a Fluval FX5 for my 125g cichlid tank and could not be happier. Water quality and clarity are both way up. I was very nervous about dropping that much coin on a filter, but I am so glad I did. That being said I agree with the previous posts and if its less than 75g, you probably could do just as we'll with HOBs.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you do purchase a canister, I suggest an oversized one to allow yourself to upgrade the tank later if you choose to, an extra $50 for a larger canister saves you $150 for having to buy a brand new one later. Just my 2 cents.

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com