Are Canister Filters Worth It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just wondering if canister filters are really worth all the hype. I am going to be setting up a 55 gallon mbuna malawai cichlid tank and I am wondering if its really worth the extra money to get a canister filter or if I could get away with just using a couple of HOB filters.

I myself prefer canisters. Depending on the stock of the tank decide how much filtration you need. I'm old school still run mag 350's!!!!

Attachments

• image-3916591906.jpg
    image-3916591906.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 225
I myself prefer canisters. Depending on the stock of the tank decide how much filtration you need. I'm old school still run mag 350's!!!!

There are a couple of reasons I am asking. From what I have read, canister filters are prone to leaking, is this true? Also, I was looking at the Eheim 2217 canister filter which has a 264 GPH flow rate, this is nearly half of what the AC 110 HOB filter flow rate is and I could put in 2 AC 110's for less than I can get one Eheim 2217 for.

Flow rate isn't everything the eheim has a much greater volume of filter material no doubt? I have had three canisters over a period of 10+ years and had no leaks. Eheim had an issue with their priming mechanism (now resolved)

I am just wondering if canister filters are really worth all the hype. I am going to be setting up a 55 gallon mbuna malawai cichlid tank and I am wondering if its really worth the extra money to get a canister filter or if I could get away with just using a couple of HOB filters.

For large tanks like 75gal and above I see a positive value to Canister Filters. Leaking is a downside which is one reason why I had to stop using my Fluval 404. It's the nature of the beast since gravity along with suction pulls water downward.

Now in my opinion it's 75gal -90gal tanks that's where the line blurs between which is best. HOB's like the AC-110 can easily handle a 75gal, but so can a Fluval 406 Smaller tanks like a 55 and HOB's like an AC-70 can do the job.
Once you get into the 100gal range, you get above the filtration capacity of most LFS sold HOB's.

Love the canister filter. Would love to learn how to use mine better. My 55 gallon tank with one HOB filter, and I bought a matching one and still it never seemed like enough filtration for large messy fish. Bought a canister and after 10 months I need to do my 3rd media change on it. I LOVE how much charcoal I can put in the canister and how clear the water is. I am past due on media change and just ordered 3 pounds of activated charcoal tonight. Once I bag it up and put it in my filter, my tank will be sparkling clean again.

SRC <><

I prefer canisters over HOB. Never had one leak. After that, I think it real boils down to the name you use. XP Rena and Marineland are my choices right now.

I got real lucky and found a brand new canister filter on clearance for 40 bucks that retails for 150. The store had been sent it as a demo.

I've been an HOB man myself but this weekend I went and splurged on a Fluval FX5 for my 125g cichlid tank and could not be happier. Water quality and clarity are both way up. I was very nervous about dropping that much coin on a filter, but I am so glad I did. That being said I agree with the previous posts and if its less than 75g, you probably could do just as we'll with HOBs.

If you do purchase a canister, I suggest an oversized one to allow yourself to upgrade the tank later if you choose to, an extra $50 for a larger canister saves you $150 for having to buy a brand new one later. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom