Are closed loop systems obsolete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Circulation Type

• Closed Loop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Netpune WAV

• Gyre

• Ecotech Vortech

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Engineer Brian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I'm planning my next build and I've got just about everything figured out except...circulation.

Is anyone using closed loop systems any more or have the new high flop prop pumps made these a thing of the past?

I like the idea of a clean looking tank without a bunch of power heads but my current tank is suffering from insufficient flow so I want to remedy that this time.

My two leading options are a closed loop system with the suction being low on the back glass or through the bottom using short pipe and screen. The CL returns will go up and over the top of the tank (plumbing covered by a canopy).

My second option is a set of 2-3 Neptune Systems WAV pumps.

Thoughts?

These systems would work just fine, if there is enough flow going through the system and things are pointed in the right directions.
I have two Vortechs on my current system and they are pretty amazing. I'd suggest looking into them as well. There are many versions out there, so it would be easy to find used ones as well if wanted.

Back
Top Bottom