Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are filter socks necessary?

Is it necessary and or beneficial to use filter socks on the sump supplies if the overflow has foam cylinders over the intakes?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Foam filters are nice when trying to eliminate excessive bubbles in the tank, but they are a pain to clean imo. I do prefer to use filter socks, but I also feed heavily and replace (wash) them often; although, probably not as much as I should. Whichever you use, or both, make sure to wash them at least every two weeks.

*By the way, I don't like to restrict water flow going through the overflows...

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks innovator, i wasn't to sure if the socks were a hinderance or not. I asked this because I just picked up RO Extreme 160 skimmer and it hasn't produced a good foam head or skimmate yet, I've been using an RO HOB and can't wait to take it off the tank, don't get me wrong it works great but adds clutter to the display. I guess I have to give the 160 some time.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I used both, at different times, and like Innovator said, you must keep them clean. Right now I don't have any type of mechanical filtration.

It can take up to 2 weeks or more for the skimmer to break in. It took my Octo almost 3 weeks before it was churning out some heavy gunk.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
I used both, at different times, and like Innovator said, you must keep them clean. Right now I don't have any type of mechanical filtration.

It can take up to 2 weeks or more for the skimmer to break in. It took my Octo almost 3 weeks before it was churning out some heavy gunk.
Thanks Larry, I put a sock on each input of the sump a couple of days after I put it online. I picked up the ext 160 2nd hand, it's only 5 months old and paid less than half of a new one, the guy was upgrading to a 180 from a 90. Do you think it would be a good idea to remove the foam in the overflow or should I just leave it in there.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The foam in the overflows is fine as long as you clean it every couple days.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will do.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
Thanx but no.....

I took some eggcrate and cut it to sit in the sump up against my first baffle (looks like a T). I bought some of the bulk filter stuff from the lfs and attached it to the eggcrate to catch the large stuff as it heads for the baffle. I made 3 of them. I just pull one out and plop another in and rotate them (cleaning the ones I pulled out where I get time).
I probably swap them every 2 weeks or so.

Also keep my macro where is supposed to be
Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
I took some eggcrate and cut it to sit in the sump up against my first baffle (looks like a T). I bought some of the bulk filter stuff from the lfs and attached it to the eggcrate to catch the large stuff as it heads for the baffle. I made 3 of them. I just pull one out and plop another in and rotate them (cleaning the ones I pulled out where I get time).
I probably swap them every 2 weeks or so.

Also keep my macro where is supposed to be
Great idea, thanks CA. I think I'll work on that one, the socks are doing a great job but are a little bit of a pain.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com