Are filter socks necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it necessary and or beneficial to use filter socks on the sump supplies if the overflow has foam cylinders over the intakes?

Foam filters are nice when trying to eliminate excessive bubbles in the tank, but they are a pain to clean imo. I do prefer to use filter socks, but I also feed heavily and replace (wash) them often; although, probably not as much as I should. Whichever you use, or both, make sure to wash them at least every two weeks.

*By the way, I don't like to restrict water flow going through the overflows...

Thanks innovator, i wasn't to sure if the socks were a hinderance or not. I asked this because I just picked up RO Extreme 160 skimmer and it hasn't produced a good foam head or skimmate yet, I've been using an RO HOB and can't wait to take it off the tank, don't get me wrong it works great but adds clutter to the display. I guess I have to give the 160 some time.

I used both, at different times, and like Innovator said, you must keep them clean. Right now I don't have any type of mechanical filtration.

It can take up to 2 weeks or more for the skimmer to break in. It took my Octo almost 3 weeks before it was churning out some heavy gunk.

I used both, at different times, and like Innovator said, you must keep them clean. Right now I don't have any type of mechanical filtration.

It can take up to 2 weeks or more for the skimmer to break in. It took my Octo almost 3 weeks before it was churning out some heavy gunk.
Thanks Larry, I put a sock on each input of the sump a couple of days after I put it online. I picked up the ext 160 2nd hand, it's only 5 months old and paid less than half of a new one, the guy was upgrading to a 180 from a 90. Do you think it would be a good idea to remove the foam in the overflow or should I just leave it in there.

I took some eggcrate and cut it to sit in the sump up against my first baffle (looks like a T). I bought some of the bulk filter stuff from the lfs and attached it to the eggcrate to catch the large stuff as it heads for the baffle. I made 3 of them. I just pull one out and plop another in and rotate them (cleaning the ones I pulled out where I get time).
I probably swap them every 2 weeks or so.

Also keep my macro where is supposed to be :)

I took some eggcrate and cut it to sit in the sump up against my first baffle (looks like a T). I bought some of the bulk filter stuff from the lfs and attached it to the eggcrate to catch the large stuff as it heads for the baffle. I made 3 of them. I just pull one out and plop another in and rotate them (cleaning the ones I pulled out where I get time).
I probably swap them every 2 weeks or so.

Also keep my macro where is supposed to be :)
Great idea, thanks CA. I think I'll work on that one, the socks are doing a great job but are a little bit of a pain.

Back
Top Bottom