Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are Fluvals really that bad, im confused.....

I set a post in the fresh water getting started forum and people told me fluvals are good, and the people that have them said i can't go wrong with it. Well i went to a lfs and the kid that works there knows what hes talking about you can just tell and he said that fluvals are the worst and he always see's them coming back to the stores broken. Whats the deal, did i screw up when i ordered the fluval 404 for my 55 gallon tank?

Old 05-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You would take the word of a kid working at a LFS? I'm a fluval user and IMO, it's the best thing on the market. Of course, with any mechanical device, damage caused by misuse and or improper maintenance can occur but I would say it is quite rare that a fluval would break on it's own.

I would be interested in knowing why this kid told you this...did he recommend something different?

Old 05-09-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I second that, I love mine.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

ummmm.... he just said that he see's alot of them come in, and he also said its prob alot of people don't know how to use it or take care of it. That leads me to this question tho. Are they hard to use and put togather or maintain? He said he uses the cascade 1000 and recommended that.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I agree that the initial set up can be very tricky. You will have to cut the single hose into two parts, making sure that you measure them out perfectly. If you follow the directions, you won't have any problems. For a pictorial view, I've included these:

What the hoses should look like when finished:

Test run: (check the amount of flow)

Another view of the hose assembly:

HTH!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Isn't that water spitting out to fast, see i won't be able to do that seeing where my tank is already setup. I convereted from a 30gal to a 55gal so i had to set it up with just mt hang on the back fliter which i am keeping as well as the canister so that i have alot of filteration. Have you had any major problems with yours or anyone, and how long have you had it for?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

http://cichlid-forum.com/reviews/cat...04&sort=rating

Just a theory here, but note how many more reviewers there are for the Fluvals. My bet is that many more people buy them in the first place since they are so affordable, and hence the seemingly high return rate, but perhaps the percentage failure rate is still lower than other filter? Anyone here work at an LFS that has actual metrics that they can share?

Heatware 164-0-0
bzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

It's on maximum flow (this was the original test run). What exactly do you mean by "I won't be able to do that?" Do what? I don't know if you can tell, but the tank is almost flush with the wall...plenty of room. The flow is adjustable (as is the outflow nozzle position) I used the pic to show what maximum (with no water in the tank) to illustrate the power...I wouldn't run full flow...it's not necessary.

If I had any problems with it...I would have been happy to cite an example and I have had 0 problems. This one is two months old.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

very cool, i mean like how you have a half full tank. My tank is already fully setup so i can't really do a flow test you know, so i guess i will just play with it while its in the tank to see what flow and just adjust as needed.... Thanks guys, keep anymore insight coming as well....
Old 05-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

i went to my local petco today and the kid that was running the fish section also told me that fluval is the way to go and the only reason why so many come back is cause people dont maintain and put them togather right.... so see i guess not all lfs's are out to get ya...

Tags
fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com