Are Hydrometers a bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyUser

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have been talking to my friends and they have been telling me how bad hydrometers are and to use refractometers. what do you guys think?

Hydrometers may be a bit of a pain because temp has an effect., but they have been used for a lot of years in a lot of labs. I am not familiar with the refractometer, but assuming it is easier and better, doesn't make the hydrometer bad.

Hydrometers are notorious for being inaccurate. I personally have seen my old one off as much as 3 points. I purchased a refractometer and haven't touched my hydrometer since.

are zoas sensitive to salinity, because ive been having a problem getting the zoas to look as nice as my open brain and acans. they don't look like they did when i found them in the store.

they are hit or miss one time you read it shows your good , the next it's off the charts than you , test again it's normal again there not to be trusted 100%
the only hydrometer that would prob be most accurate would be the glass test tube kind with the glass bobber that floats
like on moonshine

could be lighting too it could be too strong some of my zoa's are very sensitive to light
since I moved them they look better
I think they can handle salinity ranging 1.021 to 1.028 I read about this a while ago . so it's faint in my memory

Avoid hydrometers period. We did a test once and pulled 4 new ones out of their packaging and testes the same water side-by-side. All the results were different and some vastly so. Some had bubbles attached to the needle which affected the results, others just were vastly different. Besides being unreliable, the scale on most hydrometers are imprecise too. A decent refractometer really is a must.

Thanks guys, I will definitely buy a good refractometer if one goes on sale :p although i should have asked this question before Christmas. :D but for now, I don't have any fish yet so the hydrometer should be ok.

I got my refractometer off ebay for like $30. Def worth the extra money in my experience. Its a breeze touse and no guesswork or hitting small bubbles off an arm. lol

Imho for FOWLR tanks a hydrometer is just fine. Any minor swings in salinity from changing your water due to a hydrometer won't be big enough to hurt anything. It's more important in a reef tank to have a refractometer though.

is it the fish, or coral that are more sensitive to salinity? I have a tank running with just coral and inverts. and could the salinity be the reason ive been having a hard time keeping snails?
and tanks for all the posts guys its a really big help:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom