Are Rain Barrels Aquarium Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Muscle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking to get a storage container for my fish room and it seems like rain barrels are significantly easier to find around my area than those standard food grade 55G barrels. However, I'm not sure if rain barrels are safe to use. Here's the one I'm thinking of getting:

http://enviroworld.ca/environmental-products/freegarden-rain

It's easily found at my local Home Depot and I like the overflow feature so that I can walk away when filling it and not have to worry about flooding my fish room (the overflow hose would be run to a drain). The specs say it's made from high pressure injected high density polyethylene resin.

Thanks,
Harry

The one in your link says it is made from part recycled material. I might question it for that reason ; not knowing what the recycled part actually was in it's original life. No where could I find that it was food grade.
Craigslist in my area is loaded with food grade barrels in the 10 to 50 dollar price range. E bay also has them , I did buy one from ebay for an actual rain barrel and it was 15 dollars for the barrel and then shipping was 25 , so for 40 dollars it was dropped at my door , still not that bad and I did not have to run all over the place to get it , and it looks brand new.

Back
Top Bottom