Are there any reliable heaters left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJim

Aquarium Advice Addict
Everyone swore by Ebo Jagers, then the company was sold and the quality went to crap. Then Marineland Stealth Pros were the go-to heater, now I've seen several failures recently. What's left? I think one of my heaters is about ready to go on the fritz, so I'm looking at replacements. I'm about ready to get a titanium with an external controller.

What about visitherms? I am using one on my 30g long with no problems. It is the 150watt model, btw. I'm not sure how their newer ones compare but I love the old ones. Mine is about 3 years old.

I thought it was Marineland's Stealth Pros that recently have been exploding?

I havent heard any problems with the visitherms, just the stealth pro's... the stealth pro replaced the visi-therm stealth, but the glass visitherm is still good quality from what i see...

Thanks for clearing that up rookie. I am running the glass visitherm with no problems, FWIW. I never knew that the stealth pro replaced the visitherm stealth.

IMO, there is no heater made that's reliable enough for me to trust with it's own built in thermostat. I have a Visitherm and Stealth both cranked up to about 90 and controlled by a Ranco temp controller.

IMO, there is no heater made that's reliable enough for me to trust with it's own built in thermostat. I have a Visitherm and Stealth both cranked up to about 90 and controlled by a Ranco temp controller.

I agree with this, I wouldn't trust any heater. I use a Neptune APEX Controller the same way ccCapt uses the Ranco. Except I set my heater to about 83 and then set my controller to give power to my heater at 78-degrees tank temp and turn off power to my heater at 78.3, as soon as the controller turns power to the heater it comes right on... I highly doubt my controller would fail, but if it did I would then be relying on the heaters internal thermostat to kick off at 83-degrees. 90-degrees scares me.

As for which, heater I have the Ebo Jager, but as mentioned above, the main component to the heater is the controller. If you want a "less expensive" controller look into a ReefKeepr Lite, I think they are around $90 and can do a whole lot more than just control your temp/heater.

Back
Top Bottom