Are these decorations suitable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragonmommy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok well I scrounged these items and I dont know if any or all can go in the tank.

Driftwood from lake tahoe

Dead coral (freshwater tank though)

abalone shell

here is the kicker though, I found this little metal lamp that i LOVE but I dont know if I can put it in, probably not but I want to ask anyway. here is the pic

Attachments

• lantern.jpg
    lantern.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 49
Driftwood - probably give it a good boiling soaking first.

Coral - doubtful probably would effect your Kh.

Abaolone shell - same as Coral

Lamp - no that thing will rust. No a good idea.

the lantern is definitely a bad idea. Presuming it was once used, the fuel residue would be impossible to get rid of. The paint is probably an old toxic, lead based paint that will chip off into the tank before too long. The brass will corrode and create possible chemical contamination. It just isnt worth the risk.

so I should not use the coral?
bummer, i will take it out in a few then
I figured as much about the lantern, but it is a fake latern anyway a candle holder, never used with oil. But I am not using it, I am going to try and find some kind of safe version made for a tank though.

You can purchase from the lfs or online, several different replicas of lanterns that you would be able to use. I can tell you don't put metal of any type in your tank as the rust is a pain.

Coral will probably affect your parameters as noted. You can put it in but I'd advise against it. If you do put it in, keep an eye on your KH, & PH.

well it dawned on me that the stuff that belongs in the sea was clouding my water... see I speak in mommy terms, not fishkeepers terms. LOL, if someone would have just said "take it out it coulds the water" it would have made sense! LOL, anyway, I took it all out except the little abalone, i will remove it when gary (the snail) is done doing whatever he is doing with it. The pics are u in the freshwater showcase now! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom