Are these filter socks good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I'm looking at buying 25 of these socks since I only have 1 sock right now and it's troublesome to rinse it out for re-use all of the time. I could buy in bulk and switch them out and then only rinse like once a month.

PONG100P4P

The web site says that those bags are popular for aquarium use. I'm not sure about the material (Polypropylene Felt) but it is a 4" sock like the one I have.

What can I expect going from 200 micron to 100 micron? Will these socks work fine for aquarium use? Does anyone have experience with them?

Okiee, well.. I'm just going to order them then. Hope they turn out good!

let me know how that goes... Now that I plumbed my setup. Its pretty dam loud
lol. I am hoping adding a filter sock will slow down the water coming into my sump and soften the "water crashing sound"

I don't think a filter sock will help with the noise any.. maybe a tiny bit. What part of your setup is noisy? It can be made really quiet. Mine used to be super noisy but now I can barely hear it.

I bought my setup used on craigslist. So I was just using the durso he used. And it was really loud so I desided today to try making my own with a smaller hole. It was much quieter after but i think it can't keep with the flow from my mag 12 return pump. And as soon as I make the hole big enough it starts getting really loud again I am stumped any ideas?

Which part is loud? The faster the water the louder the noise inevitably but..

Is it the water entering the drain pipe that is loud? If so, yeah, playing with your durso or making a hofer gurgle buster can silence it (i used a hofer gurgle buster - drain part is silent). Use air tubing for fine adjustment of back pressure.

Is it the water actually draining down the pipe? If so, try to get as close to a straight drop as you can. 90 degree elbows and other turns can make the water splash around.

Is it the water entering the sump? If so, you gotta find a way to break the waterfall. Some people aim the input against the back sump wall, some use sponges / filter pads, you can get really creative here.

The only other point of noise can be water crashing over one of the chamber walls to a lower water level in another chamber. This was happening in my return chamber. I bought some pond filter floss and stuck it inbetween the chambers and this broke the waterfall and made it silent (also stopped bubbles from entering my return section).

If your pump is vibrating against something it can also be noisy.

Just some thoughts..

Never using PVC again lol. If I have to go home depot again I am gonna cry lol. It seems to me like it's more of the water inside the pipes. I might to try one of these gurgle busters or stockmans pipes. They seem a little confusing since I don't have a dermal. Hmmm next time I am etheir using vinyl tubing or I am just gonna buy the PVC fittings by the box. :/ frustrating when you have all the pieces but one piece of PVC pipe is holding you up

I don't know much about about the socks, but I can tell you that polypropylene (PP) felt is good stuff. The PP is used on almost everything with liquid. They are super resistant to corrosion and cracking,breaking. The felt I assume is just to hold the PP in the thread like fashion. I bought some 300 micron PP screens, and plan on using them in my sump as a pre-filter. I would recommend not going under 200 micron. If you do, it will fill up FAST. with debris and waste....PP is what Nalgene is made of...if that helps.

Filter socks work really well at collecting everything. However, they will need to be regularly cleaned using high-pressured water. Such as your garden hose or your the shower attachment. I know some people use their washing machines to clean the filter socks, but i am afraid of unwanted chemicals getting into the filters, so I personally won't recommend using the washing machine. Besides the pain of cleaning I find them very usefully.

Yeah I'm familiar with cleaning them.. it just sucked only having one filter sock and constantly cleaning it. So with 25 of them I can just switch them out. I got 25 for $69+shipping - very good deal IMO.

I did get the 100 micron so I guess I will see how that goes. Im hoping they will last 1-2 days a piece, then I can switch it out with a new one, and wash them like once a month. I'm going to try the washing machine on rinse only cycle.

n1e9dx.jpg

That happened my skimmer also when i put a new sock in. Where ya order your socks from?

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but what's your verdict on those socks? I know you said they sent your skimmer into overdrive, but they look a lot like the Eshopps ones I need to use, and I'm having trouble with clogging and rinsing them in the sink is too time consuming for what I feel like is a low return on investment. I'm gonna try bleach and the washing machine on one and see how that turns out and switch in a new one.

These socks are very good. They last me a week each.. still haven't ran out of new ones. And haven't had to clean the dirty batch yet.

The oils on them will make your skimmer go crazy for about 10 minutes when you change it. You can either empty your skimmer cup after about 10 minutes or just rinse them out in tap water before using.

Highly recommended!

Back
Top Bottom