Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are Top Fin Tanks Made By Aqueon?

I just bought a 65 gallon tank by Aqueon and after doing some reading on the forum I maybe be better off with a 75 gallon tank. I plan on starting off the tank as a freshwater setup but eventually I would like to build a saltwater setup down the road.

Petsmart has the 75 gallon on sale and I was thinking about exchanging the 65g for the 75g. (The 65g hasn't seen water yet.) After comparing the two in the store, they both seem to be made by Aqueon based on the frame style and the warning and inspection labels siliconed in during the manufacturing process. Does anybody know for sure if the Top Fin brand is made for Petsmart by Aqueon? The salesperson wasn't able to tell me who manufactures the tanks for Petsmart.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm pretty sure that Topfin and Aqueon are 2 completely different companies, not 100% sure though

My tanks (so far )
5.5 gallon Planted Dwarf Puffer tank (2 Dwarf Puffers and a lot of RCS!)
16 Gallon Planted
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Top Fin is Petsmarts brand. Not sure who actually makes the tanks for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 10g Shrimp Jungle My 10g Rimless My 5.5g CRS Tank They are a work in progress
Vid of my Shrimp Jungle
~ Tina
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Update: I placed a call to Petsmart's corporate office to see if they could tell me who makes the Top Fin labeled tanks for them. The person I spoke to said that they couldn't divulge that information out of concern for losing sales to other vendors. I also placed a call to Aqueon with the same question and the young lady I spoke with said that she believed the Top Fin branded tanks were made by Marineland.

After doing some more investigating this is what I found out. I looked at the 65 gallon Aqueon tank I had and in the corner of the bottom glass panel is a laser etched stamping with the ratings of the glass, type of glass and Aqueon's initials AGA , All-Glass Aquarium Company.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160122_020.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	284116

I went back to the store to look at the 75 gallon tank and there was 3 newly arrived units sitting on a pallet. They were all wrapped in a plain brown cardboard wrapper. On the inside of the wrapper was the printing for an Aqueon tank. In the tanks themselves was some promotional samples of Aqueon products. The include light fixture also had a manufactures label from All-Glass Aquarium Company affixed to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160123_002.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	284118

When I looked at the bottom of the tanks they had the same laser etching as the 65 gallon unit did. I would have to say that these 75 gallon tanks are indeed Aqueon made. I briefly looked at some of the other tanks with the Top Fin label and they also seemed to be made by Aqueon as well. An inspection for the laser etching would indicate the manufacturer.

I did end up making the switch to the 75 gallon tank. I returned the 65g unit and its stand. Now I need to start planning for a stand for the 75.
Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Aga makes tanks for whoever

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote

aqueon, fin, tan, tank, tanks, top fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com