Argh! I hate equipment failures!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright….here I’ve been waiting with GREAT anticipation for my skimmer. Finally, I see the man in brown trotting down my driveway. I stand at the door with my box knife ready…..I yank the box out of his hands and run with it. Drooling like a dog with a ripe bone, I wield my box knife like a samurai. The joyous task of opening the ‘octopus’ box is finally here!!! Styrofoam peanuts flying everywhere!! The new acrylic plastic smell permeates the room. In a fit of confidence I throw the instructions aside. “Instructions!? I don’t need no stinkin’ instructions!!” On the floor, surrounded my boxes and plastic I begin the laborious task of assembling the skimmer. 30 seconds later it is complete. I bask in its shiny glory. Now it’s time for “Carol the Contortionist” to emerge. Resembling the people on the front of the Twister box, I finally fit the skimmer in the sump.

Now, for you folks that have watched National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation you can get a great visual for the next step (remember when Clark is plugging in the Christmas lights?)……

:band:<Insert Drum Roll Here> With arms stretched over my head I plug in the skimmer. I listen in great anticipation for the gurgling noise. No noise……well, I’m sure it hasn’t had enough time to ……… what??? The tapestry of obscenities begins. :bad-words::censor:

Needless to say….the skimmer doesn’t work. The pump has a grinding noise so I think it’s a fair assumption to say that it’s la ‘mort.

WWWWWAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! :cry:

I want it now now now now now!!!

I contacted the manufacturer today and they said to mail it back to them and they'd repair it and send it back.

Now, tell me what is wrong with this picture??? I just bought a new skimmer and it doesn't work so I get to pay even more to ship back a defective part?

I need some M&M's

Did you try blowing in it? Seriously, that more than likely would have started it, and if it didn't, the impeller might have just needed to be reset.

I've got time so what the heck I'll give it a whirl.....

I don't know what that caused but it's working now!

Great! Thank you!

Basically what happens (Readers Digest version) is there is water pressure on the pump and blowing inside the pump removes the pressure and lets the impeller start spinning.

Take a deep inhale...then blow into the airline that's attached to the pump. It will start.
I wish that would fix all things.

Ahhhh! My car won't start....
Take a deep inhale...then blow into the exhaust pipe. It will start.

Life would be so much easier...pass me some M&Ms please.

I wish that would fix all things.

Ahhhh! My car won't start....
Take a deep inhale...then blow into the exhaust pipe. It will start.

Life would be so much easier...pass me some M&Ms please.

XDXD

My internet is down!
Take a deep inhale...then blow into the network cable. It will start.

I`m going to move this to General hardware and equipment discussion. Since Larry had the answer. Someone might be able to use this info in the future. Good call Larry.

You know, I tried this the other day when my snail tank's bubble filter stopped flowing, I just took a deep breath, and blew into the pipe and out popped a lump of something, and it worked again... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom