Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
i moved the powerheads. should i rub the cyano and suck it up when i do my water change??

Old 11-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ive also modded my skimmer, so now theres actually some bubbles... i also tested the water from lfs, and it says that the nirtates are at 10, so i will defeinately be bringing a sample there, b/c i dont think thats right. my test kit must not be right. hopefully there isnt as much damage as i thought.....

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well i went to the lfs and got my water tested. he said everything was fine, of course, he didnt test nitrates becuase they were out of the supplies. he also told me not to worry about nitrates!!! i told him the results of my testing and he didnt seem to think that was bad. then he tried to get me t buy a chemical that would take them out. i told him i didnt feel comfortable adding chemicals to my tank. i explained that i would eventually like to get corals, so the nitrates need to be 0, and i was worried about my fish, and he said not to worry, when their tanks have nitrates, they dont really do anything about them. im hoping with the protein skimmer modded, the addition of caulpera (ordered wed. not here yet) and the addition of the sump that im going to build that it will fix this problem, along with the weekly pwc..........

hope dies last
Old 11-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I will mention it again, you do not have enough liverock in the tank for sufficient filtration.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

im going to get some lr when i get paid next ... now that the skimer is working again, will that help unitl i get the lr and caulpera??

hope dies last
Old 11-11-2005, 04:31 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
It will help. You should shoot for at least 40 lbs. Some of this can be in the form of rubble and can be put in your sump when you set it up.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well i just ordered 10 lbs from ebay (1.99 lb, good deal) for now, it was half the price of going to lfs, even with s/h... ill get more and more every time i get paid until i get to 40... and hopefully with the addition of the caulpera, this will help alot. i just want my tank to be ok for now...

hope dies last
Old 11-11-2005, 06:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, rub the cyanobacteria into a vacuum when you are cleaning the tank. It will help to remove the waste from the actual bacteria. The stuff you see is basically just the byproduct of cyanobacteria.

I would not trust everything the people at the lfs say. Sometimes they are wrong. Most think they know all about fish tank, but in reality they are just hobbyists like us. There is still so much everyone can learn about the hobby. It is a constant learning experience, even for the most skilled and experienced hobbyists. I would be concerned, not worried, about my nitrates for the simple fact that they can cause tank problems if they get too high.

I am very glad to hear you are ordering more rock. It gets very expensive. You can actually purchase "dead rock" that is cheaper, since you already will have about 20 lbs of live rock. Here is a link that I found where you can find some base/dead rock http://www.reeferrock.com/store/Qsto...C01054761346C1
Old 11-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thank you for the link, i was going to get some base rock later, i wanted more lr right now. next pay check im going to build the sump, and the one after that, ill get the base rock. my caulpera should arrive today (hopefully).

hope dies last
Old 11-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

no caulpera yet i guess tomorrow.. the lr is on its way, and ive got the tank ready for curing..(hopefully it wont take long so i can get it to the main tank) ive done another water change, and tried to run some of the cyano off, didnt seem like alot, everythings settled again, and i see a little, but ill get it when i do the water change next. it didnt seem to come off that easily...

hope dies last

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com