Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-30-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
ASM G1 skimmer questions...

Well, I finally broke down and bought a new protein skimmer...man, is this thing massive! It takes up my whole sump. There are no real instructions with it, however. My question is that it says the large up-tube should be almost all the way up for initial break-in, which it is now in. Do I ever need to lower this tube? Any other adjustments I need to make? I't only been 24 hours, but it has skimmed nothing (just like my seaclone). Any thoughts?

Dr.Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the same exact skimmer. For initial break in I had the riser tube about even with where the skimmer cup connects with the main skimmer body. Give it some time I hooked mine up on a Saturday and on Monday it was skimmer like mad. I haven't really had to adjust the riser tube. I think when you raise that tube you will get wetter skimmate and if you lower it you will get dryer skimmate. Don't adjust if for a few weeks you want the skimmer to develop the slim coat first.

This skimmer kicks butt!

skennelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought the G2 and was interested in this response myself.
55 gallon
dual 175 MH w/ dual 32W PC Actinics
75# LR
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
well, it's been over a week now and all I have is tea colored water in the collection cup. I'm starting to get frustrated!
Dr.Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I had the same thing, I just lowered my tube down a bit, and stopped getting as much, I'll get more concentrated stuff every so often, but not a lot of water...

Instead of emptying every day, I am down to 2x a week.
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com