ATO for a 55g tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't start with a sump did it after around two months. YouTube overflow box and you will find videos of how to do all of it. The bigger the sump the better but if all you can do is a 10 that will work. What a sump does for you is adds water volume and hides all of the equipment so you can enjoy your tank.

The return will just hang over the edge. You will run a tube from the return pump to the return. Here is a photo of mine. You will also see the overflow box behind the tank.

ForumRunner_20130109_192050.jpg

Gotcha. Ill have to look into it. Now I guess I should unplug the overflow at one point pretending there is an outage and make sure nothin overflows ?

When doing water changes I unplug my return pump and when the overflow empties all that it can out of the tank it will drain an extra 2 gallons in to my sump. So yes you will need enough room for a few extra gallons in your sump.

Yes. I made my returns out of PVC pipe but the concept is just like the picture. One thing to do is to drill small holes in the pipes just below the water line in the display tank. When the pump stops like in a power out the small hole breaks the siphone and you won't drain your dt into the sump. Also don't fill the sump too full until you make sure it can handle what will get sucked down if the return fails.

As for how you have it set up is your call ( what's in the sump.). I have my drain from the dt and skimmer in the first section, rubble live rock chaeto and heaters in the second and the last is the return pump and area for my temp and ph probe.

Some people do sand beds in sumps some dont. It's all up to you. You don't even need to make chambers if you don't want to especially with a hob skimmer. The only reason you might is if you get a lot of bubbles from your drain tube or skimmer then filter socks can minimize this so your return pump wot by suck them into the dt.

I agree that if you properly brace the filled dt you can probably remove the center brace to get a 20l. I had to do that to mine to get a 20l in my stand.

Look up Reef tank overflow styles and plumbing overview on YouTube. You will learn about how it all works.

Thank you so much guys. I'm on my way home from work now I'm gunna take a look and do some measurements. Ill keep you posted

Back
Top Bottom