ATO for a 55g tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyP

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey AA,

I have a 55g Saltwater tank, some of you may have breezed through my build but I do not have a sump. I manually top off my tank w/ rodi water when I notice it getting low. I beleive this happens 1 or 2 times a week. I want to get some sort of an ATO but it would have to be like a HOB? I'm not sure how this works. What I think:

A pump sucks water out of say, a 5g bucket under or to the side of my tank and fills the display tank when it starts to get low. That's the only thing I think I know about it. Please fill me in, what parts, what to do, opinions. Keep manually doing top offs? Thanks in advance

- Tommy

With out a sump the only way would be to have the sensor and line go directly into the display tank

That's what I was thinking but I'm new at this and never used an ATO before. I'm not sure what products / equipment I need

I'm not too experienced with ATO's either, but I don't know how well a float switch would work in a DT, considering the turbulence on the surface of the tanks...

That's true... ****. I guess manual top offs are going to have to do for now. I have the tank and stand already in place for a couple months or else id try to so some sort of a sump set up. Can't move that stand for anything

Maybe a small one under the stand? Even like a small trash can or rubber made container will do...plus more water is always better

Ill have to measure the dimensions of the door openings tomorrow and see what I can fit. If I put an ato under the cabinet wouldn't the sensor be a little iffy from the current on the top of the water? Or we're you talking about a make-shift sump under the cabinet?

I was talking about putting a make shift sump under the cabinet and putting the ATo there. But then you would need to figure out what you could use, get an overflow and drain pipe to flow water down to the sump, then a return pump and then the ATo....if you want a sump or refuge anyway it's worth doing but if its just for ATo it's a lot of stuff.

Exactly yea. At first I wanted to just do HOB filter & skimmer like I have now because it was less expensive and I'm not great plumber. Now I wish I would of used a sump to have a fuge as well and just make it right, not that HOB is not right but it would of been more options w/ sump that's all. I'm not going to do the sump just for the ATO but if I find out someway to make fit a sump somehow under the stand its going to happen

Sure you can get a sump going with my stand I had to remove the center brace to make a 29 gallon sump fit but you could use a 10 gallon of a 29 or 20 long won't fit. A HOB overflow is easy to plumb and the baffles are easy to install. Your HOB skimmer can hang on the sump. I got a ato from a website called autotopoff.com. they have inexpensive ato that you can use without a sump.

Thanks i'll look in to that. I will see if there is a way to remove the center brace without causing my tank to tip. If so, I can probably fit a 20long down there. I do have a spare 10 I was going to use as a DT tank when I get new fish but I've just been drip acclimating my fish, but that hasnt seemed to work good if you check out my build thread. If I can remove the center brace, and the 20L fits, ill do that and keep the 10 as DT. I would need 2 pumps, a sand bed? the skimmer would go in the space where the inpipe is, then it will over flow to the fuge? then overflow to a 3rd chamber where I would put what besides a pump pushing the water back in? Would I still need my hob emperor 400 ?

Clearly never had a sump before. I feel like I know how it works just dont know where to start.

If you can't or dont want to put a sensor in your tank for an ATO you could always use a cheap $20 aqua lifter pump like the Tom Aquatics one and just put it on a timer. They move like three gallons an hour max so you could have it on for like 15-30 mins to top off less. Also I use the Tunze Osmolator 3155 in my sump (& love it ), but it can go in the DT easily or even they have a nano version now that I bet you could get away with even though it says for 25 gal.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-nano-3152-auto-top-off.html

If you need any plumbing help pm me I am a journeyman plumber and will try my best to help ya.

Thanks i'll look in to that. I will see if there is a way to remove the center brace without causing my tank to tip. If so, I can probably fit a 20long down there. I do have a spare 10 I was going to use as a DT tank when I get new fish but I've just been drip acclimating my fish, but that hasnt seemed to work good if you check out my build thread. If I can remove the center brace, and the 20L fits, ill do that and keep the 10 as DT. I would need 2 pumps, a sand bed? the skimmer would go in the space where the inpipe is, then it will over flow to the fuge? then overflow to a 3rd chamber where I would put what besides a pump pushing the water back in? Would I still need my hob emperor 400 ?

After removing my center brace I cut two 2x4s to be a brace at the to sides of the opening. You will only need one pump the way I have mine set up is the first chamber I have filter sock and skimmer. Second chamber has 20lb rubble rock and the heater. Third chamber is return pump and the pump for my GFO and carbon reactor.

So how does the water come out of the display and in to the sump? Is that what an overflow is used for?

Yeah that's the overflow box. You can find them online real quick even eBay will have them. If you buy one it will come with the overflow and the return. You will yen need to plumb it.

Okay so I just gotta figure out if I can fit something under the tank. Would a 10g be sufficient on a 55g tank? How would I mount the return to the DT, I would need it to pretty much hook around and hang on the back would be Ideal. This would all make for easier top offs and water changes. I should of did this to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom