Attaching powerhead to UV sterilizer ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The UV sterilizer is a HOB. The highlighted area shows a 4" extension with a built in powerhead adapter. Basically, it's a small hole in the bottom of the extension.

I haven't seen a powerhead that would plug directly into the extension with no tubing, anyone plumbed one like this before ?

Thx,

Dave

Attachments

• uv1.jpg
    uv1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 77
My Co2 reactor has a rio powerhead that may fit that, I am not home otherwise I would measure the diameter for you, maybe someone else will.

humpty

The one thing you want to make sure of is that the powerhead is not too strong for the rated dwell-time of the UV sterilizer. For the UV to work properly the water needs to remain in the sterilizer for a rated minimum amount of time. This is normally based on the gph of the pump attached to it. You're probably already aware of this, but I thought I'd point it out just in case :)

The co2 reactor is run by a mag 2 rated @ 250 gph. Could I take the output line from the reactor and send it back thru the sterilzer without using a 2nd power head to power the sterilizer alone ? By the time the water made it to the sterilizer, would it not be slower than 250 gph?

Dave

How about a T with a ball valve, and separate piping for the UV and reactor? Then you could lower the rate on UV side to get proper dwell time, and reactor side ensures there's no stress on the pump.

Are you planning on running the UV all of the time, or just periodically for treatment, like you would do with a diatom filter?

I think your idea of running it off the CO2 reactor is a good one, then, and I doubt it will significantly impair your CO2 dissolution, since you don't really need a whole lot of power to achieve that, IMO. I'm interested to see if you measure a difference, though.

I do believe those sterilizers are designed to have a Rio placed directly on that fitting, but since you'll have it running all the time it is more efficient to use the Mag you already have.

A while back you had asked if running the UV lead to nutrient deficiency (iron in particular). I had answered, at that time, that I had no issues. But over the next week or so, I did begin seeing signs of Iron deficiency. Based on Travis' advice about running it only at night, I put mine on my night timer. I dose every morning after the UV kicks off. Everything is looking good in there again.

Not to drag this too far OT, but I recall something about the UV sterilizer reducing the effectiveness of Excel - is that correct?

I decided to run it with a seperate power head, my original intention was to have everything stand alone i.e. filter, co2 reactor, uv sterilizer.

I'll watch for nutrient defficiences. My kh is still dropping 1 degree a day and my pH is 6.9 at night

I'm finished with all the toys now *lol* I added 10 cardinal tetras today to round out the over all colors.. now I can enjoy watching fish TV.

Thx,

Dave

Attachments

• uvpump.jpg
    uvpump.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom