Attention Filtration Experts!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongebob69

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone here know anything about Diatom filters or fluidized filters? I've read that diatom filters can even remove the Ich parasite. Just looking for your insight.

I have a diatom filter although I haven't needed to try it during an ich infestation.

I believe the diatom filter will remove the ich parasites, but only the free floating ones, and may not get them all (if they get stuck on something during the filtering for example). However, ich has a 3 stage life cycle; the other 2 stages are on the fish and in the substrate. The diatom filter won't do a thing there.

I have used my to clear up a horrible algae bloom that wouldn't go away, and also used it to clear a cloudy tank that was a result of Onyx sand (even tho it was rinsed, it clouded the tank up completely). Was well worth the purchase IMHO.

Diatom filters are an excellent way of removing any particles 1 micron or above. That includes most free swimming parasites. IMO, it is an essential tool for controling algae and keeping the water crystal clear. I was mine an hour a week on each tank :D

i'd love to use a diatom filter on my new tank, but i don't feel like dropping another benjamin on a magnum cannister. does anybody know if the HOT 250 can be used as a diatom filter, because that would be a perfect alternative that could be easily set up and torn down as needed...

THe HOT Magnum can be used as a diatom filter however I would reccomend a Vortex or Whisper Diatomagic filter instead. The Whisper Diatomagic is a purpose built in-tank diatom filter that is EASY to setup and clean. Just drop it in the tank, turn the outlet nozzle in, turn it on, add the DE power, wait a minute, turn the outlet nozzle out towards the tank, sit back and watch tank get clean.

Looks like this:

tankdiatom.jpg

those other filters are about twice the cost of the HOT and have much lower gph ratings. i wouldn't have to buy the DE because my grandma had to buy a huge huge amount of it for her pool, but she doesn't use it anymore. so she's got about 25lbs of the stuff in her basement that she occasionally gives to my aunt for her diatom... is there any other reason why i should consider the ones you mentioned besides ease of use? if they HOT can be set up to a diatom the same way as the magnum, i'd prefer to follow the instructions corvuscorax gave in the DIY section.

you can view some additional comments from me on the hot magnum here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=20612

other downfalls would be that many people have had the micron cartridges shrink and not fit anymore after repeated use, and the o-rings can wear out very easily.

the diatomagic is another $30 over the hot magnum, might be worth it to you, might not:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28837;category_id=3319

i myself have had excellent result polishing tank water with the aquaclear quickfilter attachment. the mesh it pulls the water through is very fine. aquaclear claims it can filter particles down to on micron in size. a powerhead and quickfilter would cost you less than $20.

Back
Top Bottom