Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2005, 12:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thefishguy
auto temp control

I am looking for a device that will turn my fans on when the temp gets so high and will turn my heaters on when them gets to low. I have seen one but it was 200 dollars. I have just solved my auto top off dilema, now I am looking for a solution to this problem.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I have a heater with an external temp controller and it keeps my temps right where I want them(80-81) and I run the cooling fans on the same timer as when my lighting comes on. I really could not see spending alot of money just to have the fans come on and off. I would just have them come on when your lighting does.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i agress i have a computer fan that is hooked up to my lights. When they turn on it turns on and when they turn off they turn off. Keeps my temps great to.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thefishguy
I am doing the same thing right now, but I would like to have the fans on only when I need to, plus I have had trouble with the temp control of the heaters, they are inacurate. I was wundering if there was a device that controlled this stuff.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

There are, but as you have seen they don't come cheap... Medusa temperature controllers are among the best there is... Though they are used with chillers and heaters...
Old 11-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cannot help you with the fans, but I recently switched to a WON heater with digital control. Very accurate and cost no more than conventional submersiables.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...499&highlight=

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think you can make a very simple circuit yourself if you are handy with electronics. All you really need is a temperature cut-off thermistor, like the one at the following link, and some simple wiring and resistors. If your fans are DC (like computer fans) and use a few amps or less, it should be relatively straightforward.

http://www.thermodisc.com/productDetail.asp?ProductID=2

I run my fans all the time since I have 400W MH lighting!

Tags
auto, control

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com