Auto top up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J.Mcpeak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Please help me with this,
Do you use one? If so,
What volume is it?
What volume is your tank?
How often do you refill the top up unit?

(I'm building a reef, people keep coming up with the "must have an ato/u" line, so I'm trying to work out what volume I need, obviously more is better but I only need roughly a weeks worth, I realise other factors will affect my system but I'm just looking for some rough figures)

Thanks (y)

What size tank do you have?

I have a 240g and put in about 3-5 gallons a day and probably put .5-1 gallons a day in my 60g. I don't have an ATO yet, but am considering one for the 240g.

It should be 321 litres, 85g US. That's the volume on paper, it always works out a bit less, so maybe I'll end up with an 80g.
Currently it's under construction, I'm converting an old tank. It's my first reef.
I figure if it's such an important unit I may as well work it in, rather than bolt it on later. (The tank is five foot but internally partitioned (baffled) so, a weir to skimmer section, through a bubble baffle to a pump zone, two pumps, one to re-circ, one up to an overhead fuge) display zone approx 3ft x 18" x 15" (LxDxH)
It's slightly odd but it should work, the plan is, if it works out I can drop this unit to the floor like a regular sump and fit a new tank in the middle like this,

Refugium
New display (maybe 200 litre)
Sump(this tank)

This means I can add any size middle tank (new display) at a later date, if things go well, that's my five year plan anyway.

(Check out the hydor smart level)
No moving parts! It could be safe to use long term. That's the unit I'm seriously considering, no float switches to worry about so hopefully no over dose of RO, peace of mind.

What is the climate like where you are? Normally hot, normally cold or a mixed weather system (hot summer/cold winter)

I can fit approx 17-19 litres in the sump, in a partitioned corner. My other choice is a separate tank with a volume closer to 40 litres. The only problem I see is it really eats into the return pump space, the pumps will still fit but I'm a little concerned with using the volume up in the return zone. I know the ato offsets the space you need for the returns. I think if the space is as small as possible the ato will be tighter in control so your water will be more stable/controlled. (I'm still plugging numbers before I finally fix anything) saying that, 5 gal RO into 80+ gallons of seawater isn't going to change much.

(240 is a good size tank! That must be said I think!)

What type of volume does your return pump area use? (Vs system volume and pump rating)
Eg, 2g vs 240g @2000gph.

Phew, that's a lot more questions!

Back
Top Bottom