Automatic feeder anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to be out of town on business for a few days, and I was wondering does anyone here use an automatic feeder? If so, will you suggest the best one that I should use? I can usually find someone to baby sit my tank while I'm gone, but can't get anyone for those days. Thanks for listening.

Mike

I have not used them, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I have heard that automatic feeders are not always reliable, and you run the risk of dumping a huge bunch of food into your tank while you are gone, which could cause serious problems.

Your fish can go for quite some time without food, so a week or 10 days is no problem at all. The tank I used to keep at my daughter's school would go without any kind of attention for a week during winter break and spring break, and would go for three-day weekends in the summertime when no staff came in. This tank was up for 2 years and no fish died during the entire time.

What size tank, and what kind of fish do you have?

They have one where you can equally distribute the food in individual compartments so you can actually control the amount of food being given. I have a 90G FO tank with a Yellow Tang, Niger Trigger, a Wrasse, and a couple of Damsels.

Mike

I have the automatic feeder from Wal-Mart (around 10 bucks) and it seems to work fine, it feeds the fish a small amount of food twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom